Different bullet styles for nested list items

In Obsidian every list item have filled circle as a bullet not matter how deep nested it is. In Joplin top level list items have filled circle as a bullet, child items have unfilled (only border) circle, for grandchild items it’s a filled square. This way it’s easier to see how deep each item is nested.

2 Likes

You can create your own snippet to do this

1 Like

I’m relatively new to Obsidian and until now I didn’t used any snippets or external plugins. Anyway I’ve create this snippet:

ul li {
	list-style-type: disc;
}

ul ul li {
	list-style-type: circle;
}

ul ul ul li {
	list-style-type: square;
}

it’s works, still I think it should be baked in by default.

2 Likes

I’m going to move this to #resolved-help as the css snippet solves this problem.

Re making it default: Different users will have different preferences, that’s why it’s great that you can customize this through css; making it the default will make some people happy and some others unhappy.

It seems that disc/circle/square bullet styles are default values for nested lists in html: Edit fiddle - JSFiddle - Code Playground
So rendering every bullet as disk is opposite of what browsers do.

In markdown all lists are created equal, as far as I’m aware there are no different styles (it’s just plain text).

1 Like

Ah, ok then I didn’t know that. Thanks for answer.

Are you able to explain how to do this? I have no clue how to start/where I’m meant to go.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.