Dictation - speech to text

I would like to dictated (speech to text) using the Mac OS dictation feature. It works in a lot of places and applications in Mac OS but not obsidian. Is there a special way to get this to work ?

3 Likes

try double tapping the [fn] key?

Speech-to-text works in other apps but not obsidian. The double on [fn] did not do it. I have also tried different shortcuts from the system prefs > keyboard > dictation.

strange, when i do that i get dictation in obsidian just fine :thinking:

I have added obsidian in the system preferences -> Security & Privacy ->Privacy ->accessebility.

There is this other setting for speech where I dont see any applications listed. Could this still be a privacy issue ? I cannot manually add applications here.

Hello - same issue here. It works around 10% of the time in Obsidian and 100% of the time everywhere else.

90% of the time the computer seems to lag and nothing happens. The 10% is often when I have just started Obsidian and use dictation for the first time.

Have a great day

I’m currently using Otter.ai and I’m super happy with the quality of speech-to-text. I know nothing about coding of plugins but could it be possible to automatically upload audio notes in obsidian to otter.ai to get the speech-to-text back ?

There hasn’t been any activity for 5 days, could you please see if you’d like to pick any of the existing answers as the solution, or do you still need help with something?

Would appreciate it if you could clarify on that, thanks!

I’m having this same issue! Not sure what the fix is.

Here the same issue… Like Enathen: It works around 10% of the time in Obsidian and 100% of the time everywhere else. 90% of the time the computer seems to lag and nothing happens. The 10% is often when I have just started Obsidian and use dictation for the first time.

Question: How many of you guys with that problem do have a M1 Chip? Is there a connection?

I’ve encounted the same issue as above in Monterey 12.3.01 and Obsidian Version 0.14.6. Once dicatation is turned on, after working once or twice in Obsidian, dictation ceases to work. I hear the sound to begin speaking, but nothing is dictated.