Diagram technicalities

Hello. I am having some trouble with some technicalities regarding the creation of a diagram. Here is what I need to figure out:

I want to make the overall diagram smaller in size as I will be making many diagrams that have multiple branches (the one I will show here is so large that is forces horizontal expansion of the Edit view)

I want to have it so that the labels do not overlap on each other or the connecting lines

I want to be able to have labels with two or more words (currently I use an underscore to delineate a space because if I don’t there’s an error and the diagram does not show)

I want to be able to use the same word as labels in different parts of the diagram without them automatically being linked (right now I use an exclamation mark next to one set of repeated words and no ‘!’ in the other set so that they are interpreted as different words and no linked automatically)

Here is the markdown:

graph TD 
Tissues-->Mesenchyme
Tissues-->Epithelium

Epithelium-->Stratified
Epithelium-->Simple
Epithelium-->Other

Simple-->Squamous!
Simple-->Cuboidal!
Simple-->Columnar!

Other-->Pseudostratified
Other-->Transitional

Stratified-->Squamous
Stratified-->Cuboidal
Stratified-->Columnar

Mesenchyme-->Smooth_Muscle
Mesenchyme-->Connective_Tissue
Mesenchyme-->Striated_Muscle

Connective_Tissue-->Bone
Connective_Tissue-->Cartilage
Connective_Tissue-->Adipose
Connective_Tissue-->Blood
Connective_Tissue-->Fibrous_Tissue

I attached snapshots of what the Edit View looks like and how I want it to look like. As you can probably tell I’m new to programming and have been struggling. But I realize its a learning process and I’m willing to keep learning. Thank you in advance.

As simple as it is, Mermaid—the markdown graph language Obsidian uses—is still quite complicated! Folks here might have some advice for you but you’d probably be better served looking at Mermaid’s official support documentation:

Thank you kind sir!