Diacritics not rendering correctly

Steps to reproduce

Basically try entering any less common diacritic combination, such as those used in phonetic transcription (my use case). For example the symbol for the voiceless retroflex nasal ɳ̊ or the linguo-labal fricative θ̼.

Expected result

The diacritic should be rendering directly above or below the character.

Actual result

Screenshot 2023-02-08 at 10.34.32 am

Environment

• Operating system: MacOS
  • Debug info:
SYSTEM INFO:
	Obsidian version: v1.1.9
	Installer version: v0.15.8
	Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 22.1.0: Sun Oct  9 20:14:54 PDT 2022; root:xnu-8792.41.9~2/RELEASE_X86_64 22.1.0
	Login status: not logged in
	Insider build toggle: off
	Live preview: on
	Legacy editor: off
	Base theme: adapt to system
	Community theme: none
	Snippets enabled: 3
	Restricted mode: on

Additional information

I have tried this with multiple fonts, including fonts that render the combination character correctly elsewhere.

Yep, I can reproduce this too. MacOS v1.1.12 (Installer 1.1.9). Default theme, other themes, and Sandbox vault.

Although some of them, if I paste them into Firefox’s location bar, they show up the same way, slightly offset. In Google search, correct. In Scrivener, correct. In Safari’s location bar, correct.

Unrelated: Please download and reinstall Obsidian from the website. Your installer is out of date, and you don’t have the latest Electron. This won’t fix this bug. Just saying.

Switching to Lucida Grande works in my local tests on macOS 13.2, Obsidian 1.1.9, and Installer 1.1.9.

Recommended IPA fonts available on various platforms:

• Windows: Segoe UI, Cambria, Calibri, Arial, Times New Roman, Tahoma or Lucida Sans Unicode(incomplete)
  • MacOS: Lucida Grande, Arial, Times New Roman, Tahoma
  • Linux: depends on the distro, but Linux Libertine, Linux Biolinum and DejaVu Sans are good bets.
1 Like

I also think this is a font issue. Thanks @anon63144152

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.