Deleted file - but linked pictures stayed in the picture-folder?

Things I have tried

What I’m trying to do

Hello, I am very new, these are my first steps with Obsidian.
I am sure my “problem” is already explained somewhere but I cannot find it in the help - probably I do not know what to search for… sorry.

I created a file, with pictures.
I put the pictures in a seperate picture-folder.
Obsidian asked me if I wanted to automatically link the pictures. I agreed.
The pictures show when I open the file.
I delete the file.
The pictures are still in the picture-folder.

How can I get the linked pictures to be deleted with the file?

Thank you for your help :slight_smile:

1 Like

it is a behavior that I have noticed too, and I am like you, a beginner

Linking doesn’t mean it’s connected in any way. It just means it points to it. So Obsidian doesn’t delete them automatically.

I think there are some community plugins which can detect and remove attachments which are not linked by any files.

(I’ve never tried it.)

More info here. It’s also an open feature request: Search results for 'delete unused attachments' - Obsidian Forum

2 Likes

Thank you very much! :grinning::+1:

1 Like

The behavior is expected. I discovered this when starting out as well.

There is not a 1:1 relationship between Notes and Attachments. So when you move or delete a note, the attachments are not touched, because they could be attached to other notes also.

A feature request could be (and I am pretty sure it already exists) that when there is in reality only a 1:1 relationship, delete (or move) attachments also.

I did just find the community plugin called Janitor that can help with orphaned attachments.

1 Like

Thank you ! :grinning::+1:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.