Delete file pops up message that "Destination file already exists!"

Steps to reproduce

1. Create a new file in a new pane (e.g. Ctrl-N from pinned pane, or Ctrl-Shift-N from any)
  2. Delete the file while the cursor is still in the filename area, using Ctrl-P “delfile” or clicking in the pane’s menu

Expected result

File is deleted

Actual result

File is deleted, but an orange popup is displayed, saying “Destination file already exists!”

Environment

• Operating system: Windows
  • Obsidian version: 0.10.6

Additional information

Behavior did not occur in 0.10.1

1 Like

I’ve just hit the same issue with Linux on v0.ll.5.

Currently I have my “Delete files” setting set to “Move to system trash”, which may be relevant.

It had been working, but I’ve just stated getting the message and the files no longer go into the system trash.

I had this yesterday too, on 0.11.13 (am on 0.12.0 now). Also using the “move to system trash” setting.

I thought it was because I had a lot of “Untitled.md” in my Trash (and Untitled 1, Untitled 2, etc)

Didn’t spend too long trying to reproduce it though.

Got this yesterday when a plugin accidentally created the file Test|Charlie Brown (it should have been linking to Test instead).

So I tried to delete Test|Charlie Brown from the file explorer side pane. Obsidian deleted the file but then showed the error.

Linux Mint 20.1/Cinnamon, Obsidian 0.11.13, Installer 0.10.11)

I have been occasionally seeing this message briefly in the top left corner of the interface as a maroon popup. I am pretty sure that it is saying “Deleted file already exists.” EDIT: Never mind, I just got it again, and it said Destination file already exists. Probably wouldn’t have added this post in the first place if I had known it was the same exact message. Oh well. Obviously, this is very minor, but somewhat strange that it occurs only sometimes. Anyways, just figured I’d mention it. Thanks.

Windows 10 - Obsidian v0.12.19

1 Like

When I set a hotkey to the “Delete current file” action, I always get the message “Deleted file already exists”. The message does not pop up when I choose the action from the Command Palette instead of using the hotkey.

Will be fixed for the next release

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.