Delete and don't ask again should have checkbox to change setting

Steps to reproduce

The “Delete file” dialog has 3 buttons.
The most dangerous button is the first, and it is also the biggest and bright red (attracts interest).
The distracted user likely clicks on it quickly and inadvertently.

Expected result

A dialog box with a checkbox to remember the user’s choice to delete anyways (that changes the setting), a Cancel and a Delete button.

[Cancel] [Delete]
[ ] do not ask again

This way, the user has to perform 2 operations in order to make the dialog disappear.

External link on bad confirmation dialogs:

(on the plus side, nobody does Captchas to delete files yet :slight_smile:)

5 Likes

Wanted to +1 this. Would be great if when you select “Delete” the confirmation dialog appears, and the Delete button is active, so I can hit “Enter” or “Return” to delete the file.

The Cancel button should be secondary and accessible by tabbing.

The “Do not ask again” could be a checkbox that is always there and it’s checked or not based on how you’ve set the setting.

1 Like

It is very annoying behaviour currently. Each time I delete file, I just want to see the confirmation and hit Enter to confirm the operation. But if I do so, the settings just changes and I don’t have confirmations any more.

UPD: For those struggling as me, I’m now using a CSS-snippet, which I’ve added in Appearance settings:

body > div.modal-container.mod-confirmation > div.modal > div.modal-button-container > button:nth-child(1) {
  display: none;
}

This removes that first button, and if you just hit Enter, nothing happens - which might even be better than instant confirmation. Instead to confirm first press Tab twice - and then Enter.

WARNING: This will probably break other confirmation popups as well.

1 Like

Use case or problem

now I have two buttons to delete file:

Pasted image 20210104160412

When I click the bigger one - I change a setting

I can do this incidentialy and after that my deleted files will be moved to system folder.

Proposed solution

To change a Delete and don't ask again button to a check box
which some one should check and then click delete (only highlited button)

Current workaround (optional)

Do not click in larger button

4 Likes

This is another “me too” post. The current button situation is a big UX anti pattern.

Hello, sorry for bumping an old thread but I was just create a topic with exactly same concerns with previous posters. Was a bit curious whether if it was me only but turns out it wasn’t :slight_smile:

just downloaded Obsidian, looks pretty promising so far!