“Default view for new tabs” setting doesn’t apply to “open daily note” command

Steps to reproduce

1. In a new Vault, set Editor > “Default view for new tabs” to “Reading view”
  2. Enable the Daily notes core plugin.
  3. Open the daily note using the “Open today’s daily note” command.

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

Y

Expected result

I expect the “Default view for new tabs” setting to be respected, resulting in my current daily note to be opened in reading view (even / especially when using the command rather than, e.g., through the files pane)

Actual result

It obeys special (and I think undocumented?) behavior to always switch to editing view.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Operating system: ios 17.3.1 (Apple iPhone14,3)
Obsidian version: 1.5.8 (126)
API version: v1.5.8
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: none
Live preview: off
Base theme: adapt to system
Community theme: Things v2.1.20
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: off
Plugins installed: 10
Plugins enabled: 10
1: Attachment Management v0.9.6
2: Templater v2.2.3
3: Tag Wrangler v0.6.1
4: Dataview v0.5.64
5: QuickAdd v1.8.1
6: Style Settings v1.0.8
7: Default New Tab Page v0.11.4
8: Meta Bind v0.12.5
9: Hotkeys++ v0.2.7
10: Advanced Tables v0.21.0

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Custom theme and snippets: for cosmetic issues, please first try updating your theme and disabling your snippets. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community theme and snippets.
Community plugins: for bugs, please first try updating all your plugins to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community plugins.

Additional information

The setting works as expected when opening notes, even the daily note, using other methods. However, the most convenient way to open the current daily note is using the command… so, effectively it is not possible to open the daily note in reading mode without giving up the normal UI affordances for opening it.

yes, that’s the case.

It’s not a bug, it’s inatentional. The rationale is that you most likely want to edit your today’s note when you open it.

All right, thanks. That seems strange to me — like any other note, sometimes I want to edit, sometimes I want to view. I spent a while today narrowing down what was preventing the “correct” behavior before realizing it was the core plugin itself.

However, given that it’s intentional, do you know of a way to consistently and dynamically open the current daily note in reading view?