Steps to reproduce

1. create a template file
  2. add a property, call it date, change property-format into date
  3. create a new file
  4. add template to this file

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

y

Expected result

A date property as property-format = date should automatically enter the current date while using a template.
This behaviour is since ever useable in Obsidian while frontmatter and as inline metadata: Changing {{date}} into a current date while using a template that contains {{date}}

Actual result

In case I use the template-feature the date-property is not useable in my template-file because the date does not change automatically.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.4.4
Installer version: v1.3.7
Operating system: #173-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jul 11 07:25:22 UTC 2023 5.4.0-156-generic
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: supporter
Insider build toggle: on
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 2
Restricted mode: off
Plugins installed: 4
Plugins enabled: 4
1: Advanced Tables v0.19.1
2: Dataview v0.5.56
3: Tag Wrangler v0.5.11
4: Calendar v1.5.10

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Custom theme and snippets: for cosmetic issues, please first try updating your theme and disabling your snippets. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community theme and snippets.
Community plugins: for bugs, please first try updating all your plugins to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community plugins.

Additional information

I tryed the new property feature with a template note already in sandbox vault. Same behaviour as in my own vault.

2 Likes

Typing {{date}} as value to property created inside my template note will cause to insert the current date while using the template note for creation a new note.

Howto:
Please change view from live preview into source mode to modify the initial value inside the template.

Part of my template note :point_down:

---
🔼: 
tags: 
created: {{date}}
---

Result after adding the template to a note :point_down:

---
🔼: 
tags: []
created: 2023-08-29
---
1 Like

How one can set the property value to {{date}} in a template in the new property editor UI? I can’t find a way to edit properties as yaml text.

Can’t you do that in source mode ?
(instead of live preview)

Hi.
Please change view from live preview into source mode to modify the initial value inside the template.

I added this hint now also into my previous comment.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.