Dataview plugin snippet showcase

This would probably take a lot of work, and require the ability to write to notes; I don’t believe this is currently implemented. But I like the idea a lot!

2 Likes

For the time being, I think the text {{expand}} plugin could do something like this.

If you use YYYY-MM-DD, you could do something like this:

file: /\d\d\d\d-02-28/
$filename
![[$filename]]

This would return a list of all daily notes from the same time in a previous year, with the note name, and the embedded note content

1 Like

I think it would need a security feature too, not all metadata needs that. But when they do it could be very powerful. For instance I am using a ProjectPriority YAML and sorting my project by that. If I can set that in the table I can set them as I have the big picture in front of me all the time.

1 Like

Thank you @SkepticMystic : I am being dim though (sorry). I installed MrJackphil’s plugin, and left all the dafaults as is; I then copied what you gave above into a frontmatter fence in a new doc; then I ran Text {expander}.
The result was a search in the (ctrl+Shft+F) search window for the desired files. Is that the expected result? I was myself expecting the ![[$filename]] argument to generate the links in the doc… I realise I may be asking for the moon on a stick here. Any help much appreciated

It is supposed to generate links in the doc, just like you want… I tested it out myself and I see it also isn’t working for me, even in simple examples :confused:. It was recently updated, so perhaps something significant changed. This seems like something to mention to MrJackphil

@mdee makes good use of the Dataview plugin to set up a lightweight project and task management system based on PARA. It’s well done. See Project and Task Management workflow.

5 Likes

You can use Templater plugin too. It puts templates into the text and has a lot of other cool features, I prefer it over hotstrings

1 Like

It seems that the Dataview plugin can’t parse queries with accented characters like :

list from #début

Dataview: Failed to parse query (line 1, column 13): expected ‘and’ or ‘or’ or ‘&’ or ‘|’,/FROM/i,/SORT/i,/WHERE/i,EOF

Is there a workaround ?

3 Likes

I would add an issue on the github page. This shouldn’t be difficult to implement.

1 Like

It seems there is no like function? I want to list all the restaurants I have notes on but I have not gathered them with a tag (only occasionally need a restaurant). And I know I concequently added the word restaurant in the file.name.

Is that possible?

D&D Campaign cross-referencing with dataview…

• I have a few basic types: faction, npc, location
  • I have some tagging conventions:
    • General region: #region/subregion/sub-subregion/…
    • Specific place: #place/settlement/loggers-camp or #place/town/phandalin/stonehill-inn

That feels chatty, but it comes pretty naturally. What that means I then have is:

A) a full index grouped by type:

## Locations
```dataview
list from "compendium"
where type = "location"
sort file.name asc
```

## NPCs
```dataview
list from "compendium"
where type = "npc"
sort file.name asc
```

## Factions
```dataview
list from "compendium"
where type = "faction"
sort file.name asc
```

B) Cross references can then be displayed to help hop between things without creating links/backlinks (if you want to reserve those for stronger meaning, e.g.)

A specific location can do the following to find related NPCs and log entries:

## NPCs
```dataview
list from #place/landmark/circle-of-thunder
where type = "npc"
```

## History
```dataview
list from #place/landmark/circle-of-thunder and "pc-logs"
```

A Faction adds an additional lookup for related locations:

## Locations
```dataview
list from #group/faction/bregan-daerthe
where type = "location"
```

Tag structure matters for me, e.g. because it is #region/subregion/sub-subregion … I can get a broader index of anything in the region by specifying “#region/subregion” in the from (as the listed results contain any included sub tags).

I hope this makes sense. :wink:

22 Likes

There will soon be functionality to have something like:

list from ""
where file.name contains "Restaurant"

But not currently

6 Likes

All my projects have a field in the frontmatter “completedDate”, which I leave blank in until they are complete. Is there a way to query for projects that are not yet completed? i.e. for an empty field? Or is it bad form to leave an empty YAML field?

Try adding where completedDate = null

12 Likes

Thank you @arminta. It works great. These work too: completedDate="" and !completedDate

6 Likes

You can now use the contains function!

list from ""
where contains(file.name, "Restaurant")

For more on the functions available, checkout this page.

12 Likes

Using the contains function, you should now be able to achieve this! Or atleast create a list of daily notes from a previous year.

list from ""
where contains(file.name, "{{tp_date:f=MM-DD}}")
4 Likes

Is there a log update fro this plugin? I could not find any on github

1 Like

log update? I’m not sure what you mean :sweat_smile:
The functions were released in this update:

Click on “Releases” on the right side to see a list of updates

2 Likes

A bullet list of what changed after the update
P.S.: Where can I find it?