Dataview Master table and Filtered Tables

I am trying to create 3 database tables using dataview: dictionary, phrases, and verbs. I will take notes on a resource and add what I have learned to these tables. I want to display the full table in notes named dictionary, phrases, and verbs. I want the note on the resource to contain a filtered view of the tables with just the words, phrases, etc. that were added from that resource.

Using the standard frontmatter I can only have 1 table per note and 1 item per table.

I have looked through the documentation for YAML frontmatter and have been unable to create a table that functions how I expect it to.

Another attempt:

To include multiple tables in the same resource note I would need it to look something like this:

and then get the full table in my table Note:

I’m not exactly sure what I’m doing wrong with the syntax and the documentation doesn’t seem to have 1 continuous example that I can work through to understand and I have gone through multiple youtube videos and still don’t understand it.

Let me know if you have any ideas on how to accomplish this task. Thanks for your help!

It looks like you’re trying to create a table that associates words in two languages along with what resource the words came from. I think trying to maintain this table in the page metadata or Dataview fields would be a lot of tedious work, and I wouldn’t recommend that approach.

Instead, I suggest creating a single CSV file containing all the data from all lessons that lives in your vault. Dataview knows how to read CSV files and can display the results right in your Obsidian pages.

For example, if you had a file in your vault called “Scratch/data.csv” that looked like the following, you could use Dataview to embed tables of all the words, or just words from the current lesson.

Finnish,English,Resource
maito,milk,lesson1
sokeri,sugar,lesson1
suola,salt,lesson2
leipää,bread,lesson2

In the example below, you can see both – note that the second table is using the name of the current file to filter the table:

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Craig

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.