Dataview can table in-line fields but not YAML fields, properties feature messing it up

Hello,

How can I make dataview make a a “table” if my metadata is in YAML? Right now, it can only “list”. I can only get the table function to work if it doesn’t have the trip hyphen thingamijig at the begging of my notes but rather double colons.

---
somefield: some text
---

It is theoretically possible because if I put double colons, it WILL show up in dataview

---
somefield::  some text
---

But then the new properties feature messes it up because if you toggle it on and off, it puts quotation marks around it like so

---
"somefield:": some text
---

What I’m trying to do

Table the YAML fields in my notes without needing to use in-line double colons.

Things I have tried

Hello,

How can I make dataview make a a “table” if my metadata is in YAML? Right now, it can only “list”. I can only get the table function to work if it doesn’t have the trip hyphen thingamijig at the begging of my notes but rather double colons.

---
---

It is theoretically possible because if I put double colons, it WILL show up in dataview

---
somefield::  some text
---

But then the new properties feature messes it up because if you toggle it on and off, it puts quotation marks around it like so

---
"somefield:": some text
---

I do not see why the first codeblock containing somefield: some text should not work. Try this:

---
---

~~~dataview
TABLE somefield
WHERE file = this.file
~~~

yep, within the frontmatter block the yaml syntax is only one colon:

---
like_this: value
---

the equivalent inline is [like_this:: value]

either way it should show up:

`=this.like_this`

and be usable in tables and other dv queries.

What’s happening at the moment is that the new properties system is trying to sanitise the double colon to make it into valid yaml, I believe.

https://blacksmithgu.github.io/obsidian-dataview/annotation/add-metadata/

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.