Daily notes do not create under any circumstance

Steps to reproduce

Press the Daily Notes button in the sidebar.

Expected result

Get a daily note in the place specified under settings.

Actual result

No note has been created, and no errors are shown.

Environment

• Operating system: 64x Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise, Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362, Intel Core i5-9300H CPU @ 2.40GHz
  • Obsidian version: v0.9.2

Additional information

I’ve looked up and down the forums, and eventually did find an old topic on the subject, but nothing worked. I tried changing the destination folder, changing the name of the folder, not using the full file path when designating which folder to place the notes under, and still nothing showed up.

Whilst writing this I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling Obsidian, with no changes.

There are no errors in the top-left to explain why this is happening.

Apparently I ate a bowl of chromosomes this morning. By removing the probably incorrect formatting I have solved all of my issues.

Whoops.

2 Likes

What was the fix, exactly?

Bumping this back to #bug-reports simply because there probably should be an error message of some kind if a user makes a mistake with the plugin’s settings! WhiteNoise, feel free to make it a feature request instead if you think that’d be better.

“What was the fix, exactly?”

The fix for this specific problem was changing the formatting. However I discovered if you use the right formatting with a colon between, say, kk:mm, that does not display an error either. It should probably remind you that you can’t put “special characters” (? | : " / \ < > *) in the titles of notes, like it does with the normal file tree.

1 Like

I’ve noticed that when I changed the date format for my daily notes to llll (short form to make it Sun, Oct 11, 2020 5:20 PM), it parsed correctly in the preference pane but daily notes were not created and there was no error message. When I set it to ddd, MMM D, YYYY, the note created just fine.

1 Like

there is some flexibility in changing the standard date format of Daily Note names, but not a lot… also: agree an error warning would be nice, esp. as Daily Notes plugin-settings for date format apply to the file name, AND also to the {{date}} variable in the specified Template file!! (to use a different format in the template file, even if that same format is specified in the Template plugin settings, the Daily Notes behavior must be specifically overridden in the relevant template file, as instructed regarding date formats in the Daily Notes plugin doc)

THANK YOU! I searched for hours before finally finding this. An error message would be really helpful since I always forget that we can’t use what I consider “normal” date format.