Custom editor fonts not respected in Linux AppImage

Steps to reproduce

1. Download the latest AppImage
  2. Change the text editor font to any of the installed fonts (I tried multiple, e.g. Bitstream Charter)
  3. Reload the app.

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

Yes, I repro’d this also in a sandbox vault with all the plugins off.

Expected result

The editor font changes to the selected font

Actual result

Inter font remains as the editor font.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.5.11
Installer version: v1.5.8
Operating system: #35-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Wed Feb 21 10:58:23 UTC 2024 6.1.0-1035-oem
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: insider
Insider build toggle: on
Live preview: on
Base theme: adapt to system
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

I have no idea what happened just now but I have restarted my machine a couple of times, selected Abissynica SIL as the font, moved it up the list and now custom fonts seem to work. It’s a very strange one, I wonder if anybody else can reproduce it.

Ok, I played around a little more and I think the list of fonts that shows up in the Obsidian appearance settings does not necessarily reflect the fonts that are currently installed on the system. For example, Baskerville is not a font that I could find under /usr/share/fonts but if I typed in the name of any of the opentype or truetype fonts that I indeed have installed, everything works fine. It’s interesting though that if I select Baskerville, the green tick symbol appears to the right as if the font was indeed present. My hunch is something is wrong with the font picker then, as I would expect the red cross to appear if the font is not available.

Honestly, no idea.