1. create a note with the following content
line 1
line 2
  1. move cursor to the end of line 1
  2. right click on the right of the end of the line 1

Expected result

the cursor remains at the end of line 1

Actual result

the cursor jumps to the begin of the next line (i.e. line 2)

Environment

• Operating system:
  • Debug info:
    SYSTEM INFO:
    Obsidian version: v0.14.15
    Installer version: v0.13.31
    Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 21.5.0: Tue Apr 26 21:08:22 PDT 2022; root:xnu-8020.121.3~4/RELEASE_X86_64 21.5.0
    Login status: logged in
    Catalyst license: supporter
    Insider build toggle: on
    Live preview: on
    Legacy editor: off
    Base theme: dark
    Community theme: none
    Snippets enabled: 0
    Safe mode: off
    Plugins installed: 0
    Plugins enabled: 0

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

Jun-06-2022 10-55-23

It looks like it’s selecting the newline (notice the selection highlight at the end of line 1). In fact, if you right-click on a word instead, it selects the word. This might be an intended convenience to ease cut, copy, paste, and search.

I can reproduce on MacOS 12.3, Obsidian 0.14.6, installer 0.14.2. (EDIT: in Live Preview.)

I cannot reproduce this on Windows 11. I tried Source and Live Preview Mode.

Perhaps, it is for the convenience. But, it is strange:
for example, if you want to paste the content in the clipboard at the end of the line 1, by right clicking at the end of line 1 and using the “paste” option in context menu. When the menu pop up, you will notice that the cursor is blinking at the beginning of the line 2. However, if you continue the paste, you will find, the content in the clipboard is not pasted at the position where the cursor is(i.e. at the beginning of line 2), it is actually pasted at the end of the line 1.

However, for the plugin such as copy-block-link, it always inserts content at where currently the cursor is. This (unexpected) jumping cursor issue becomes annoying.

Based on the report from @CawlinTeffid , this may be a MacOS only issue?

Actually, when I right-click to paste at the end of line 1, the pasted text replaces the newline, producing:

(line 1) (pasted text) (line 2)

instead of:

(line 1) (pasted text)
(line 2)

So the end of line 1 and the end of line 2 become the same point, and the text is pasted there.

The issue (at least on my system, and I would think on yours based on your screenshot) isn’t cursor movement, it’s unexpected selection.

Yes, it is unexpected selection. :D

This is macos thing. It happens also in textedit.

1 Like

Huh! I never noticed before, but it does happen in the other text editor I use.