Cursor in list is in the wrong position

Steps to reproduce

Easy steps:

1. Open the sandbox vault
  2. Copy/paste the example text below (the list) into a note
  3. Put the cursor at the start of the word “blah”
  4. Expected is that the cursor is next to the letter “b” but instead it’s in the gutter

Example text to copy/paste:

1. First
2. Second
	blah
3. Third

Original steps:

1. Create a numbered list of items
  2. Under the second item create a nested list by hitting enter and then tab to indent
  3. Delete the number under the second item so it’s a paragraph only (see text below)
  4. Place cursor at the start of the paragraph. It should be next to the first letter, instead it overlaps with the folding line.

cursors

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

Yes

Expected result

Cursor is next to the letter “b”

Actual result

Cursor is in the gutter.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
	Obsidian version: v1.5.3
	Installer version: v1.4.16
	Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 23.2.0: Wed Nov 15 21:53:34 PST 2023; root:xnu-10002.61.3~2/RELEASE_ARM64_T8103 23.2.0
	Login status: logged in
	Catalyst license: none
	Insider build toggle: off
	Live preview: on
	Base theme: adapt to system
	Community theme: none
	Snippets enabled: 0
	Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
	none

Additional information

Go to: Settings → Editor
and turn off “Indent using tabs”
and set “Tab indent size” to whatever you want

I had the same visual glitch. The issue comes up when you use tab characters for indenting and set “Tab indent size” less than 4.

It says this on “Indent using tabs”: “Turn this off to indent using up to 4 spaces.” So I guess it’s intentional.

If you really want to use the tab character for indenting and not have this visual glitch, then your indent size can’t be less than 4.

This is fixed in 1.5.5.

To create a new line within the same bullet point, you need to shift-enter and the end of Second. It will add the appropriate number of spaces and tabs.

I think you are doing something else manually with tab.
The behavior you see with tabs is the result of a tradeoff to make things look nice in live preview and it’s not gonna change anytime soon.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.