Creating a glossary for terms related to a special area of work

What I’m trying to do

Hello everybody,

once again i need a little bit of help :slight_smile:

During the last years i gathered a lot of definitions (a few hundred) related to my area of work as a veterinarian. I would like to add those definitions to obsidian. Please keep in mind i just started using obsidian, i am new to markdown and i have no idea about programming! I tried to be as precise as possible but i struggled with the specific terms. I just know stuff about dogs, cats, fishes and birds… :slight_smile: !

a definition in my case consists of:

1. the name of the definition and in some cases an abbreviation
  2. the definition of the word itself
  3. in a lot of cases a paragraph of a regulation where the definition is originating from

example: 1. pain, 2. physical suffering or distress 3. § 1 TierSchG

what i am doing right now

1. create an individual note (Pain) for each definition
  2. add the definition itself (physical suffering…) as an alias in the front matter
  3. add a tag “definition”
  4. created a note called “Definitions” with a dataview query looking for all notes with the tag “definition” and displaying file name in the left column and the alias in the right column
  5. the dataview query:
TABLE aliases as Definition FROM #Definitionen 
SORT file.name ASC

the good: i actually have a note that shows all definitions in alphabetical order with the definition in the right side. the simple dataview query works.

the bad / what i am worried about: is that after adding a lot more definitions i will realize that i should have applied the whole process in a different way

what could be improved: is there a better way then just using the alias? should i do it differently alltogether? should i add the reference to the regulation/law in the text of the note or somewhere else? can i display the reference to the regulation/law in a third column?

Things I have tried

• watched youtube videos about adding dictionaries to obsidian
  • read forum posts and articles regarding dataview, dictionary plugins etc.

I’m not that into medical stuff, but normally aliases is reserved for other aliases/nicknames for the note in question, e.g. say you have a note on “Blood Cancer”, but in another note you would like to talk about “Leukemia”. Then it would be natural to add “leukemia” to the aliases.

So I would rather have a dedicated property on the definition part, where I possibly would write a succinct description of the thingy. The main body of the note I would use for other descriptions, comments on treatment (or similar), and so on.

Not sure how I would tackle the originating references, but maybe just add that as list of references in the frontmatter? Maybe even as links, to describe the reference in more detail.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.