Create a watch folder and a note under the folder to showcase all the file in embedded file format with the name of the file in the folder

Background
I am a researcher, and I have used many reference and file management software like endnote, Mybase, zotero and citavi.
The basic plus side of these software is that they could store one entry into multiple categories without creating duplicate files from original one. Unlike the file management software of windows system, in which you have to copy-paste a file into different folders if you want to fit a file into different category, and it could often end you up with multiple version of a file that could cause confusion or even mistakes.
when I use obsidian, I find that the embedded file format (![[]]) could be a perfect tool for file management, in which you could have a embedded file format like ![[manuscript-a
novel inhibitor]] in a note titled [[writing assignment for prof. Wang]] and another note [[final submission to editorial office]] and you could edit the same file named “manuscript-a novel inhibitor” without creating duplicate files in the file management system of Windows.

Feature request:
1 Create a watch folder named "Files"in a vault which you could put files and folders inside.
2 Automatically generate a .md note under the “Files” named “Content” with all the name of the folders inside the “Files” to be multi-level headlines (# “folder name”)with all the name of files inside these folders to be embedded file format(![[“file name”]]) to duplicate Folder hierarchy of the “Files”

example which may be the "Content.md" inside the "Files"
# literature review 
![[paper 1.pdf]] 
![[paper 2.pdf]]
# Microbiome
![[note 1.doc]]
## ureolytic bacteria 
![[primers to detect.doc]]
![[experiment result1.xls]]

example which you could used the above "Files"
[[writing 1]]
![[paper 2.pdf]]
![[primers to detect.doc]]

[[writing 2]]
![[experiment result1.xls]]
![[paper 2.pdf]]
![[paper 2.pdf]]
8 Likes

I’m very surprised this hasn’t received more attention. I’d love to have a watch folder for similar reasons - put PDFs in a repository and, rather than update an index file, have it create a separate note for each file where I could put notes related to the document.

1 Like

now obsidian accepts all kinds of file extensions. I now install Zotero inside an obsidian vault so that wherever I want to link a note to a pdf file in Zotero, I just have to type [[xxx.pdf]] in the obsidian editor.
pro - Zotero allows more professional handling of pdfs and their metadata.
con - install Zotero inside obsidian can cause many unwanted files to appear in the obsidian search frame. this could be addressed by using zotfile plugin for Zotero to relocate the pdfs in Zotero to an obsidian vault, but for some reason i choose not to relocate my pdfs in Zotero

2 Likes

+1 on this! Create a unique note for each attachment for notes, tags and other metadata.