Core Plugin Outline Advanced Options

Use case or problem

Right now when using the Outline plugin provided in Obsidian Core Plugins you only have the option to activate or deactivate it. This is an issue because the current implementation of the outline is unnecessarily restrictive to many note-taking scenarios.

Basically, the main issue is headers are only shown in the outline if they immediately follow another header. So in the attached image we can see Apples is shown in the outline but Green Apples and Red Apples are not shown in the outline. This is because some text that is not a header is being shown. (bullet point in this case but it can be anything)

I would want and expect the Green and Red Apples Headers to be shown in the outline despite not directly following the parent header “Apples”

Example:

-Fruits (h1)
 -Apples (h2)
  -Green Apples (h3)
  -Red Apples (h3)
 -Bananas (h2)
  -pie (h3)
   -More Pie (h4)
    -Even More Pie (h5)
     - Even MORE Pie (h6)

Proposed solution

I could understand how some people may not like the outline to work like this though, as well as how this change could cause the notes of people using the current system to become messed up.

Hence I propose, like the “core template plugin”, that the outline plugin have it’s own settings page. In this settings page there would be an option to allow nested headers to be displayed.

Second option?: IDK if this could be a second option or if it would need to be included with the show nested headers. But when a header is nested it might make sense to have the option to reset header nest level. Hopefully this image helps explain what I mean.

Basically, since all headers under Apples(h2) would be nested I would be able to add a h1,h2,h3 and they would all nest and be shown in outline nested as well nested under Apples(h2).

Example:

-Fruits (h1)
 -Apples (h2)
  -Green Apples (h1)
   -Yellow Apples (h2)
    -Red Apples (h3)
 -Bananas (h2)
  -pie (h3)
   -More Pie (h4)
    -Even More Pie (h5)
     - Even MORE Pie (h6)

Hope this makes sense.

1 Like

Just tested on Linux, no such problems.

Seems more like a bug.

The plugin is amazing, but not work on Rmd. Any possible to be compatible with plugins like “txt as md”?