Copy image from a note

works like a charm! Thank you!

It’s great that a plugin is able to solve this issue, but having to install a plugin to do such a basic task feels… weird.

Even though a plugin fixes it, and the workaround to Open in default app -> Copy image to clipboard is easy, I would definitely like to see a Copy image to clipboard implemented as a core feature without needing to install a plugin.

3 Likes

Seeing that, 4 years after this request for a very basic requirement about images management, there is still nothing done, just show the problem with Obsidian: the team is focused on edge-case gimmicks features like properties and Canvas, while the core functionalities used on a day-to-day basis for any edition are not stable and are sorely lacking. This is the opposite approach of what other tools like Bear are doing.

1 Like

I totally agree. I have no idea why I should install a custom plugin to do basic action.

One person’s “edge-case gimmick feature” is another’s “central part of workflow”.

1 Like

Hello Obsidian Team,

I am writing to request a feature enhancement that would significantly improve the workflow within Obsidian. Currently, it seems that images in the editor cannot be copied and pasted seamlessly into other applications. Here’s a detailed description of the feature request:

• Obsidian Version: v1.5.12
  • Operating System: MacOS Sonoma 14.4.1
  • Feature Description: I propose that Obsidian supports enhanced image handling capabilities in the editor. Specifically, once an image is pasted into the Obsidian editor, it should be possible to copy that image directly from the editor and paste it into other applications without issues such as images cannot be selected and pasted.
  • Rationale: This feature would streamline the process of integrating Obsidian into diverse workflows, especially for users who often need to transfer content between Obsidian and other applications (like word, email, or browser).
  • Suggested Implementation:
    1. Allow images pasted into the editor to be stored temporarily in a format that is readily accessible for copying.
    2. Ensure compatibility with clipboard formats used by common operating systems to facilitate the copying and pasting of images.

This enhancement would not only improve user experience but also enhance the utility of Obsidian as a comprehensive note-taking and content management tool. I believe many users would benefit from this capability and appreciate the added flexibility it would provide.

Thank you for considering this feature request. I look forward to any updates you might have on this or any potential roadmap inclusion.

A couple of variant workarounds:

On desktop (tested on Mac), click the image, right-click the embed code, and choose “Open link” to open the image file. Then do Ctrl/Cmd-C to copy.

On mobile (tested on iOS), go the image file, open the menu and choose Share, then choose Copy. (Going to the file is trickier on mobile. The easiest way may be to switch to Source Mode, then tap the link and tap the “Follow link” popup. I believe to follow the link in Live Preview you have to use a command.)