Converting Latex notes to markdown to use it in obsidian

I have been using snip notes an online editor for Latex notes and files. Now I want to move those files to obsidian and use obsidian as my primary app.
I don’t have much experience with Latex conversion.

What I’m trying to do

My notes are in the following format

I am interested in moving those files to the markdown format of obsidian. But adding dollar sign for every equation manually is too much work. Is there a simple way to convert these files so I can view them in obsidian?

It’s not simple, but doing a mass find-and-replace across your files in VS Code using regular expressions should be workable.

1 Like

Pandoc is perfect for this.

1 Like

Just keep in mind that many packages don’t work with MathJax. If you use the Extended MathJax plugin, you’ll be able to include some packages and define macros, but that’s it. Many useful packages such as ‘tensors’, which I use heavily, aren’t there.

Note that no plugins work with obsidian publish, so if you go that route, you won’t be able to publish your notes for now (although the author of extended MathJax has a hacky workaround to get it working with publish that I’m not aware of).

What I’m trying to say is, if you’re an advanced LaTeX user, I probably wouldn’t port all your notes. I would only write some basic evergreen notes. It will be a nightmare otherwise.

Otherwise, you can just use regular expressions as @ryanjamurphy recommended and it won’t be too difficult, I’ve done that recently.

I use MathJax heavily in Obsidian and I honestly miss full on LaTeX, but the ability to link notes is worth the pain.

From what I see, the “replace text” function should suffice: replace “(” and “)” by “$”, and “[” and “]” by “$$”.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.