Converting evernote to obsidian

Hi! Could you please provide me a bit more info about how you do use yarle, config etc? And please do it in github, I used to check it on a daily basis, so I’ll respond there faster.
Thank you!

1 Like

An update of my failures. So out of 2399 notes I found 23 missing notes. 7 out of them had name clashing with other notes in a different register and were lost because I use case insensitive file systems (default on macOS). For the rest I haven’t noticed anything obvious. @akos0215 I would suggest that you add some sanity checks and at least report inconsistencies. It’s not hard to manually move 23 notes as long as you know that you are missing them.

1 Like

I found what is common for the other 16 notes that failed - they all had evernote check boxes. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Hi @Scientist !

Great, thanks for the hints, I investigate the root cause.
thanks a lot!

Hi! This reply may be a bit late to address any previous replies, but I wanted to mention this nonetheless for the possible benefit of anyone finding this thread in the future–I went through quite an experience migrating off of Evernote and into Obsidian a few weeks ago, and that involved using Yarle.

While Yarle worked, it took me a bit of effort to get it up and running, so I wrote a wrapper script for it and open sourced it to GitHub. That script can be grabbed here: GitHub - dmuth/evernote-to-obsidian: Wrapper for the Yarle app to make converting Evernote notebooks to Markdown easier

Hope that it can be of some help to others in the future.

– Doug

2 Likes

Hi Doug, can you elaborate on using that wrapper? I just stumbled upon Yarle and after installing it on Windows, it looks like it’s ready to go. Would you mind explaining what a “wrapper” is in this case, and whether it’s relevant for a windows user? Your instructions ask to run commands, but isn’t Yarle entirely UI based? Is it used via powershell instead of using the Yarle UI? I understand you can edit the settings via the config file. But What settings are different and why are they better for this particular use case?

A wrapper is something which wraps around something else, making it easier to use. Here’s a definition: Wrapper Definition

In this case, I found Yarle had a ton of options that I didn’t really care about and took some effort to set up, so I instead wrote a shell script which automates those things. Since the shell script is for OS/X and UNIX systems, it won’t work on Windows unless you run a Linux VM or something.

For your case, since you already have Yarle installed, running it directly would probably be the overall path of least resistance.

– Doug

I found a detailed tutorial on using Yarle to migrate from Evernote to Obsidian.

I used it and it really works.

https://compile.blog/evernote-enex-to-md/

1 Like

I’ve been using Evernote for over ten years and was getting more and more frustrated with it but hadn’t found a replacement that motivated me enough to leave till I looked at Obsidian. Then I wondered how I was going to move my notes…

I tried various methods found in this thread. The one that worked without a glitch was Ákos Balasko’s Yarle, specifically the Mac binary in my case.

Many thanks to him and the other contributors.

EllenH

2 Likes

Just to give another option, I just converted 20 000 Evernote notes, including many texts, documents, images, etc… very successfully using DEVONThink import. It worked very well and it did not need any « shell script or terminal magic ». I did that while using the 30 days DT trial so I don’t think you even have to buy DT if you decide you don’t need it (but I believe DT is a very powerful companion to Obsidian). The migration convert EN notes that have text + embedded files (images, pdf, etc…) into sub folders with the note itself as an HTML file, linked to all the embedded files, so you don’t loose anything.

You can find a lot of articles about migrating from Evernote to DT in the DT community forums, but in short summary:

1. Downgrade to Evernote Legacy
  2. Create an empty simple DT database
  3. Go into DT File / Import and select Evernote
  4. Select the notebooks you want to import (do a test on a few small notebooks first…)
  5. Wait quite a while…
  6. Look at possible erreur messages for some EN notes that contain very exotic documents (unsupported file types, etc…). In my case on 20 000 notes there are maybe 5 or 10 notes that did not got converted.
  7. When you have imported all the Evernote notebooks, you can just « move » your DT « Groups » (=folder) with all the EN Notes converted into a folder outside the DT database. This is not a conversion, just a move, as DT store data internally as plain files.
  8. You end up with all your EN content nicely in folders and files.
1 Like