Convert Regular Page to Canvas

Use case or problem

I usually start writing in a regular note, whether it is for a new idea, meeting notes, some long form text or anything else really. Occasionally, I end up realizing that my linear note would be served better as a canvas, which creates friction with having to create an identically named canvas, and the figuring out how to add parts of the original note to a canvas (whether to reference each block individually or add headings or just drop the entire note).

Proposed solution

It would make it much easier if we could convert a regular markdown note in a canvas file. Ideally, each header would be segregated into a separate canvas card, but don’t have a very strong preference there.

Current workaround (optional)

Currently, I create a canvas with an identical name to the original markdown note and then drop the note into that canvas (or parts of it).

8 Likes

The idea for converting markdown file to canvas is great, but what got me was the idea of using each header as a separate note. That is the best part of this request.

1 Like

I’d love to be able to turn a Canvas Map into a Markdown file as an outline (using Headings). Alternatively (or both) take a Markdown file with Headings as the outline, and turn that into a Canvas Map.

Some of the “mind map” tools, like MindNode and others, will turn a map into a Markdown outline file, and vice-versa.

There is a plugin that you can install using the BRAT plugin that converts a note into a canvas based on the headings.

GitHub - Feel-ix-343/obsidian-canvas-moc: Converts MOC note files to an obsidian canvas

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.