Context menus close with no menu item triggered if I move the mouse to another item before releasing the left click button

Steps to reproduce

This is probably not technically a bug but it feels like it, and it’s one of those minor frustrations that frequently occurs for me.

In summary, a context menu action doesn’t fire under certain mouse movements. The context menu closes and nothing happens.

1. Use v1.5+ on Microsoft Windows for this example. I’m using Windows 11.
  2. Create some text.
  3. Select the text and right click to open the context menu.
  4. Left click and hold the mouse button down over the Copy menu item.
  5. Oops, you accidently wanted to Cut not Copy, so drag your cursor over the Cut menu item.
  6. Release the left click.

The context menu vanishes and nothing happens.

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide?

Yes - reproducible in Sandbox.

Expected result

Either keep the context menu open so the correct item can be clicked, or trigger the menu item under the cursor when the left click is released.

No other Windows application that I’m aware of ends with the menu closing and nothing happens. Microsoft office apps will trigger the menu item under the cursor when the left click button is released. Directory Opus does the same, as do apps that use the standard context menu API’s. Windows 11’s Explorer app’s new context menu doesn’t appear to trigger the item, but also doesn’t highlight any other menu item once the left click is held, and will keep the context menu open so you can try again.

Actual result

Context menu closes and nothing happens.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.5.3
Installer version: v1.4.13
Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.22621
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: none
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Base theme: adapt to system
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

The same happens in other context menus, such as the file/folder tree menu.

thanks

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.