Configuring the Web Clipper MarkDownload for a seamless workflow with Obsidian

Notes

The information and setup explained here was collected from the forum and GitHub issues, thanks everyone.

I only tested this hack on Linux / Firefox. Please post below your experience with other OS / browsers. Thank you.

The extension

MarkDownload is a non Obsidian specific extension to save web clippings on your file system in Markdown format. Obsidian integration has been added to the extension to save web clippings to a preset folder in an Obsidian vault.

This is a great extension that works as advertised, and I appreciate the work that went into it. However, the Obsidian integration, even though it works, leaves a couple of things to be desired for a seamless workflow.

• The extension integration does not save any images along with the web clippings, even tough the extension does so standalone. I often need to save the images with the page so I’d like to have the option
  • Even when using the extension without the Obsidian integration, it will only save the images if saving in the user’s system download folder. If you try to save elsewhere, the images are not saved no matter what you do.
  • The Obsidian integration is hidden in the right-click context menu, something that’s not documented and ended up puzzling every new user I tried to onboard

The Aim of this configuration

• To be able to send a page with images to Obsidian with the a simple click on the extension toolbar icon using the symbolic link hack explained below
  • To be able to send a text only page to Obsidian with the right-click menu in the page or on the toolbar icon using the extension Obsidian integration which requires the install of the Obsidian Advanced URI extension
  • To quickly save web clippings, with or without images, in an Obsidian vault folder called inbox to later manage and organize the clippings from within Obsidian.
  • The saved clippings should be saved in a markdown file. The clipped images will be saved in a directory alongside the markdown file with the same name minus the .md extension. This will make it easy to edit/move/delete the markdown file along with its resources.
obsidian_is_great_article.md  < markdown file
obsidian_is_great_article     < folder containing the article images

How-to

Luckily, the setup is easy, it just requires a few steps.

In Obsidian

In your browser

• Install the MarkDownload. extension
  • In the browser extension’s preferences, set:
    • Always show Save As dialog: OFF
    • Download Images alongside markdown files: ON
    • Enable Obsidian Integration: Specify your vault name and inbox as the obsidian folder - This will give you the the right-click option to save without images
    • Set Folder inside Downloads/ to: MarkDownload - This is the only place where the extension seems to be able to save images
    • Set Download images alongside markdown files: {pageTitle}/ - This will save the images in a folder named with the page title just like the markdown file.

In your file system

If you’re not familiar with the concept of Symbolic Links, this will take more time to explain than to do. It’s just one command though.

If we use this setup as is, we will save the clippings in the MarkDownload folder in your system’s download directory, not where we want them. Since we have to save in the Download directory for images to be saved, we will create a symbolic link from the inbox folder in your vault that targets the MarkDownload folder in your download folder.

Simply explained, this means that we instruct the operating system to regard both directories as one, but actually store the data in inbox. The MarkDownloader folder is just a symbolic link that points to inbox which is the real folder that will actually hold the files. The extension will think it’s using the download folder and will happily save the images in it, and Obsidian will be happy since it will have all the clippings and images in its vault.

On most operating systems

Most GUI file managers will let you create a symbolic link, so check your OS documentation or the articles I linked below. Just make sure that the symbolic link directory is the one in the download folder, and the real directory where the content will live is the one in your Obsidian vault.

Linux and Mac command line option

Be sure to use the correct paths

ls -s /home/user/Obsidian/vault/inbox /home/user/Download/MarkDownload

“How-To Geek” help guides:

Windows: The Complete Guide to Creating Symbolic Links on Windows
Mac: How to Create and Use Symbolic Links on a Mac
Gnome on Linux: How to Create and Use Symbolic Links on Linux

Question:

Can anybody find an article for KDE?

Usage

To save with images

You can clip the whole page or a selection. Click the extension toolbar icon, review the Markdown that will be saved in the preview window, then click Download.

To save without images

Right-click on the extension toolbar icon or on the page, select:
MarkDownload - Markdown Web Clipper > Send Tab to Obsidian

Optional customization

You can customize the text properties the extension puts in the YAML Front-matter as well as the body of the markdown files. This can be done in the Template section in the extension browser configuration.

• I removed the tags properties since clipped web pages can have a inordinate number of tags that Obsidian will include in your vault tags. If you curate your tags this will drive you crazy :slight_smile:
  • The extension puts the url property in the Front-matter, I added it again in the body of the markdown file so it will be visible and I can click on it easily.
  • In use the filename as # (H1) in my vault so I removed the {pagetitle} from the body of the file to avoid duplication

Here’s the template I currently use:

---
created: {date:YYYY-MM-DD - HH:mm} 
url: {baseURI}
author: {byline}
---
URL: {baseURI}
> ## Excerpt
> {excerpt}
---

Hope this helps,
A.B.

7 Likes

Obsidian markdown file of this how-to:

1 Like

Nice! Something I didn’t figure out immediately was that you don’t need to add the full path to the inbox folder (just the folder name is sufficient) to get the obsidian integration to work.

Another thing I found handy was to add a symbolic link for the images so that all the downloaded images end up in the attachment folder

1 Like

Thank you for this, I have done it however am just getting this box.

That is the website I am on. I have tried reloading and still nothing.

Thanks

MarkDownload’s save to Obsidian feature worked for me for several months, until I upgraded to Safari 16. Now it fails to clip to Obsidian. My _inbox folder is defined in MarkDownload settings, and exists at the root of the vault as it always was.

OTOH, MarkDownload > Obsidian works perfectly on Chrome.

I do not see save to Obsidian option even though I have everything set upa s is. I can still save the page as a regular markdown (without the mentioned intgeration) and it saves to my Obsidian folder since it is defined as sym link on windows.

I’m getting the same thing for this page as well, Not sure what’s going on.

“Send to Obsidian” function is only available when you right-click on the MarkDownload button, choose MarkDownload - Mark Down Web Clipper and then you’ll see the illusive Obsidian option.

1 Like

Does anyone know how to use this in WIndows? I tried creating a shortlink, but MarkDown Clipper ignores that and creates a new directory in my download folder with exacly the same name.

You can use Far Manager, MultiCommander or Double Commander to create Junction Folders which is what I use for the exact purpose.

You have to use the Windows CLI command mklink to make symbolic links on Windows, you can’t do it in the File Explorer. Here is a Microsoft Learn page with instructions and examples: mklink | Microsoft Learn