Config to ignore/hide select files and folders

I don’t think we’re gonna get this feature any time soon :pensive:

+1 I also want this

1 Like

+1 This is definitely needed. Any news on this ?

1 Like

+1 for this feature too, if it helps lol. anyway we can get this on a higher priority?

2 Likes

Nope :slightly_frowning_face:

My quicksearch is getting quite messy, hiding some folders / files would help immensely.

1 Like

For those that work with node_modules, one strategy is to run yarn autoclean --init and then yarn autoclean --force in the root of your node projects. Many npm packages seem to have a huge amount of markdown content that is downloaded into node_modules folders that is in many cases not needed for the package itself (e.g. they’re LICENSE or README files and so on). Running these commands in various places throughout my vault actually decreased the number of markdown files in it from ~4500 to about ~1100.

This even unlocked an unbelievably annoying Obsidian bottleneck for me where Obsidian took forever to start up and to open or delete a file. I’m still not sure where that bottleneck came from as others have mentioned Obsidian can handle many more files than I had, but im glad it’s gone for now

This is unoptimal because you might not use yarn and markdown files may be necessary in your node_modules in certain cases, and of course the best solution would be if obsidian handled these situations natively – but yep, it sort of works?

2 Likes

I totally agree.

Bumping this thread, since I would love this feature too.

1 Like

+1 This is definitely needed.

1 Like

+1. I include some of my personal projects (SSG sites, github projects with README’s etc) within my vault, it would be nice to ignore node_modules directory, and other files/folders from the index.

1 Like

Add me to the ever-growing list of people who would like an exclude feature for the switcher.

My workflow puts dormant things in an archive which I’d like to have via search but I don’t need their titles auto matched with the switcher. Too noisy.

2 Likes

+1 from me. I have a literature and source note for every paper I reference in my vault and regardless of what I search in the quick switcher, it will match the name/alias of a paper before it ever matches a note I actually made. It’s essential to the workflow to have them in there but kind of crippling when they clog up the quick switcher and [[ search.

1 Like

+1 from me as well. Something like .obsidianignore would be indispensable.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat. I renamed my Archive folder to “.archive” so that it would become invisible to Obisidian.

1 Like

I tried that but switched it back. I still want my archive available for search and for browsing (and drag-drop). I just want it ignored by the quick switcher.

4 Likes

Any news on this feature ? Thanks.

2 Likes

+1 from me as well. I’d love if I could assign weight to certain folders, so that for example results from my templates would appear lower in the search and results from images folder wouldn’t appear at all.

4 Likes

Another massive +1. Also @SatoshiSato’s idea is amazing, being able to weight against asset folders and the like would be really useful!

3 Likes

+1 big time

2 Likes