Command to insert newline without changing blockquote level

Use case or problem

When I’m editing a blockquote or callout, sometimes I want blank lines. The problem is that if I hit Enter on a blank line, the > of the blockquote/callout just gets removed from that line, thus splitting the blockquote/callout into two.

Proposed solution

It would make sense to create a command (with default hotkey Shift+Enter) to add a newline without erasing any of the > (or multiple levels of > >). This way we can have blank lines within a single blockquote/callout block.

Current workaround (optional)

I have to go back to the unindented line and re-add the > (or multiple levels of > > ).

Shift+Enter already works for me. Exactly the way you want it to.

1 Like

Settings → Editor → Smart indent lists ON

If you turn that on, it will maintain the blockquote level, with or without “shift” being pressed, as far as I know.

If I turn that off, then I notice it stops auto creating the blockquote on the next line.

Ah yes, I had Shift+Enter remapped with BetterTouchTool in order to resolve a separate issue: Customizeable hotkey for "Find previous" - #10 by obsequious

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.