Command to create weekly note from template?

I use the daily note plugin to create daily notes from a keyboard shortcut with the following templates:

This creates/opens a daily note in the following format:

Is there a way to make a similar command but for creating a weekly note? Ideally, I’d like to be able to create the weekly note from a command (also accessible on mobile) with this template, and the title in the format YYYY-MM-DD:

Any ideas on how to implement this? Thanks for your help!

There is another Plugin called Periodic Notes. I haven’t used it, but that might be the solution.

3 Likes

As Obsidiandnancy mentioned, Periodic Notes is the way to go. Same exact functionality as Daily Notes, but expanded. Will do what you need. You can install it, set it up, and deactivate Daily Notes.

1 Like

Thanks! Is there a way to have the weekly note title in the format of “this week’s Sunday” as is possible with Templater (e.g. 2021-10-10)?

1 Like

Yeah, you can do that quite easily. You should be able to use Templater with Period Notes so you can format the date as you see fit.

1 Like

Do I do that in the Periodic notes formatting section?

I’m not sure what you mean by having a weekly note titled “This week’s Sunday”, since Sunday is just one day…? But yes, you can set up the title of your weekly notes in the space in your screenshot. No need for Templater.

For example, you could change the format to [Week ]ww and it would look like “Week 42” (instead of gggg-[W]ww resulting in “2021-W42”).

1 Like

I mean for the weekly note to have the date of the first day of the week (Sunday). For example, the week of Oct 17th to 23rd would be 2021-10-17. With templater, I used the following:

<% tp.date.weekday(“YYYY-MM-DD”, 0, tp.file.title, “YYYY-MM-DD”) %>

So if I were to create the weekly note on any day from Oct 17th to 23rd, the title of the note would be 2021-10-17. I hope this makes sense!

Hmm. Seems so. From liamcain/obsidian-periodic-notes: Create/manage your daily, weekly, and monthly notes in Obsidian (github.com): “The date format for the weekly note filename. Defaults to gggg-[W]ww . If you use DD in the week format, this will refer to first day of the week (Sunday or Monday, depending on your settings).”

1 Like

That did the trick, thank you!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.