Command for duplicating file

Use case or problem

I often want to just clone an article and modify it a little.

This is distinct from the template functionality.

Proposed solution

Command called “Duplicate note” that creates a new note (maybe with “(Copy)” appended to the note title) in the same folder, with the same contents, and same file name.

Current workaround (optional)

E.g., right now, I was creating a bunch of references for articles part of a series and would have just liked to be able to duplicate the note.

Doing it manually would require creating a new note, going to the old note and copying the title, then pasting the new one, going to the old one and copying the content, then pasting it into the new one, and finally, going to the previous one and seeing which folder it was in, and moving the new one there.

18 Likes

Another workaround if you use the file explorer: right click the file in the file explorer and select make a copy

2 Likes

Is it possible to assign a hotkey?
ctrl-click is soooooo slooooow!

Thanks. Ex ante for this, and ex post for all the great work!

2 Likes

Happy to see this request here!
I am sure that file duplication is probably a very common task for many users. I am a excalidraw enthusiast and create a lot of IT diagrams with it. Often they build on each other and I need all variants. Being able to quickly create a copy of the current file would be awesome. This hotkey is really missing.
Thanks & kind regards,
Simon

7 Likes

Agree. Would also very much welcome a hotkey or menu item to duplicate a file.

How is Duplicate not already a thing? It should be right next to Move in the menu.

2 Likes

I need a duplicate command too… It would work so well with QuickAdd macros and just generally a good QOL improvement

+1

A duplicate command is needed.

Hi Yatharth,

There is a community Plugin that does just that, called “Enhance Copy Note”.

I also would like this to be a native function!

1 Like

Obsidian will let you put a vault in Finder. From Finder, you can apply the same menu of options that you get with any right-click. You can just duplicate it there and navigate back to the editor.

+1 for this feature. I’d like to be able to choose from the note menu to “duplicate” note, and have it create a copy – probably with a 1 appended to the title to start with – and jump to that newly-created note in the active tab.

+1 Would love a native hotkey command for this!

+1 for this feature. Going out to the OS’s browser is clunky and painful.
And using a template requires too much duplicate info to be manually edited.

There is already a command for this. It’s called make a copy.

6 Likes

If only it were called “Duplicate” on macOS per convention, then it’d be easier to find

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.