Closing "Help" Doesn't Close it

I close the Obsidian Help note and open my Obsidian vault in dropbox. When I reopen Obsidian it opens the Help note again. How do I get it to stop doing this? I want Obsidian to open my main vault of notes when I start.

Did you close the Help vault fully, e.g., by clicking the “x” in the top bar?

1 Like

Yes. I close the Help Vault, open the Obsidian vault I want, and then quit. When I reopen, it is in the Help Vault.

I will edit this and add a bit. I have just upgraded to Big Sur and wondered if that might fix my problem. It doesn’t. I close the help folder by clicking on the X (between “unlink pane” and “More options.” Then if I click on the “Open Another Vault” icon that looks like a bank vault on the bottom left of the window and try to close the “Obsidian Vault” from there, it says “Can’t remove a currently open vault.” I want to open Obsidian and work on a note. I do not want to have to close a window and then work on a note.

I think I know what’s going on.

When you say that you closed the help folder, you actually only closed one of the notes. That’s what I understand from the X button you described.

What @ryanjamurphy meant with “the x in the top bar” is the main window close button: the red x circle on the top left (Mac) or the x on the top right (Windows).

Please try these steps:

1. With the help vault open, go to Open another vault and open the vault you want Obsidian to open to.
  2. Close the help vault by clicking the main window close button.
  3. Go to Open another vault again (this time from your own vault) and remove the help vault from the sidebar on the left, by clicking the “x” to the right of its name.
  4. Quit Obsidian (Cmd+Q Mac / Alt+F4 Win)
  5. Restart Obsidian

If this doesn’t work, let us know.

3 Likes

Thanks. Really appreciate the help. Things seem to be working just fine now.

2 Likes