Clicking twice on the "back" button maximises the window

Steps to reproduce

Click twice quickly on the left arrow in the titlebar of the window – the one that looks like this:

Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 7.07.32 PM

Expected result

Clicking two (or more) times in quick succession on the left arrow should simply page back through the history of pages you’ve visited, and not maximise the window – the window should only maximise if you double click on the title bar outside of the arrows.

Actual result

The window is maximised. If the window is already maximised, then the window size is restored.

Environment

Mac OS 10.15.7
Obsidian version 0.12.13

Additional information

The same thing happens when clicking twice quickly on the right arrow as well.

3 Likes

kuva
Just to help narrow down the bug, I tried the same thing on Windows 10. On Windows 10, double clicking both backward and forward arrows work correctly and the window does not maximize. So this seems to be something Mac specific.

Also on Linux (Xubuntu 20.04) it works correctly.

2 Likes

On macOS, double clicking on the bar at the top of a window maximises the window as a standard OS behaviour.

I came across this electron thread that may be relevant.

Can’ŧ repro on Linux Mint 20.2/Cinnamon and Ubuntu Studio 14.04/XFCE.

Double-clicking the title bar also maximizes/unmaximizes_, as expected. The “Go back” and “Go forward” buttons work as expected, even when accidentally double-clicked.

1 Like

Double clicking the title bar to maximize the window is a standard OS behaviour also in Windows and Xubuntu. What I meant with “So this seems to be something Mac specific.” was that the bug seems to be Mac specific, meaning that the bug only occurs on Mac.

can you post a screen recording of this happening in the help vault?

Double-clicking too quickly causes the window to zoom (or minimise, depending on the setting in Apple → System Preferences → Dock & Menu Bar → Double-click a window’s title bar to zoom / minimise).

Although that speed can be adjusted in Apple → System Preferences → Accessibility → Pointer Control → Double-click speed.

Not an issue for me. Just providing the screen recording requested.

ObiMac

Angel

3 Likes

Thanks, @anon12638239 – you bet me to it.

The same happens to me on macOS Monterey v12.2. But given my macOS settings it actually minimizes when I accidentally double-click.

Once you’ve done the above, delete everything above this line.

Steps to reproduce

Double-click any button in the title bar that doesn’t open a menu (e.g. “New tab” or “Expand”).

Expected result

The button action should be performed twice the same as if the two clicks were performed slowly enough to not count as a double-click.

Actual result

In addition to the button action being performed the window is toggled between maximized and un-maximized just as if the title bar was double-clicked directly.

Environment

• Operating system: Mac OS 12.6.2
  • Debug info:
    SYSTEM INFO:
    Obsidian version: v1.1.9
    Installer version: v1.0.3
    Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 21.6.0: Sun Nov 6 23:31:16 PST 2022; root:xnu-8020.240.14~1/RELEASE_X86_64 21.6.0
    Login status: logged in
    Catalyst license: none
    Insider build toggle: off
    Live preview: on
    Legacy editor: off
    Base theme: dark
    Community theme: none
    Snippets enabled: 0
    Restricted mode: off
    Plugins installed: 1
    Plugins enabled: 1
    1: Jump to link v0.4.4

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Community plugins: for bugs, please first try updating all your plugins to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community plugins.

Additional information

This was reported previously here: Clicking twice on the "back" button maximises the window - #3 by stevelw

1 Like

This is no longer relevant with the new window frames.