Legacy editor: off
Base theme: light
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

The actual “Create new file” command does the same thing. Also, if there is no hotkey assigned for that command, the new tab shows Ctrl+N even if you’ve assigned Ctrl+N to the “Create new file in current tab” command. But the click issue occurs no matter what your hotkeys are set to.

1 Like

It’s weird but I am not sure I consider this a bug. Because that button creates a note in new tab and it shows the hotkey for that.

I think it’s better you open a Feature Request asking that New files is created in this tab.

In that case, consider the bug to be that the text is misleading: the other operations in the list all apply to that tab, and in previous versions of Obsidian, so did that operation.

If the intent was to make that link do something different (vs. an unintended side-effect of the changes to the New Note command), then the text should be phrased differently, e.g. “Create new note in a new tab”.

In addition, as I mentioned above, the displayed hotkey is wrong if you have assigned Ctrl-N to another command and don’t have a hotkey assigned to the New Note command. (I reassigned Ctrl-N to the “New note in same tab” command and disabled the regular new note hotkey, but the link shows Ctrl-N and clicking the link still runs the “New Note” command rather than the actual Ctrl-N assignment.)

In other words, there are at least two bugs here (misleading text, wrong hotkey shown) even if the actual behavior change since Obsidian 1.0 were intentional – and as you said, this would be a “weird” choice for an intentional behavior change. All the evidence suggests that this is just an unintended side effect of the change to the New Note command.

But if this change was intentional, that just means the text should be changed to match, and the hotkey display fixed.

I understand why you opened the bug report and that is why I said that the behavior is weird.

This is another problem and I think there is already a BR open for that.

1. I can’t find a bug report for that.
  2. Do you want me to open two separate reports for the misleading text and the incorrect hotkey?
  3. Can you ask whoever made the change if it was intentional?

Either the behavior change was on purpose, and the text is wrong, or it was not on purpose and needs to be fixed. Either way there is a bug that is not actually resolved, and it cannot be resolved without addressing the question of whether the change was intentional.

I’ll do it.

The change was intentional in 1.0.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.