Clicking on a wikilink style Heading Link doesn't always scroll to that heading when linked tabs are open

Bug Description

Clicking on a wikilink style heading link e.g.

[[Link to some note#SomeHeading]]

when the workspace is set up with 2 linked panes/tabs does not reliably open that note and scroll to the heading. In my case, I have notes where around 90% of the time it just flickers and leaves me at the very top of the note.

Closing one of the panes makes this bug go away. So it’s definitely related to having the 2 linked panes open side by side when the heading link is clicked.

Steps to reproduce

1. open sandbox vault
  2. add these 2 sample files from my gist
  3. open them in a side by side linked pane / linked tab view. Left side in source mode, right side in reading mode
  4. using the reading pane, start clicking the wikilink to jump from one note to the other, using the this note will link to a heading in the long note > Define
    Environment Variables
    and docker and docker compose > Environment Variables links to navigate (see video)
  5. after some short time, you should be able to reproduce the bug: instead of navigating/scrolling to the correct Heading, the editor will flicker briefly and leave you at the top of the note.

Video demo below— specifically if you look around ~38s you’ll see it misfire:

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

Y

Expected result

Should always correctly navigate / scroll to the selected Heading.

Actual result

Note is opened but does not jump to the selected heading

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.4.5
Installer version: v1.4.5
Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 22.6.0: Wed Jul 5 22:22:52 PDT 2023; root:xnu-8796.141.3~6/RELEASE_ARM64_T8103 22.6.0
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: insider
Insider build toggle: on
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: off
Plugins installed: 0
Plugins enabled: 0

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

This is the same bug that I opened many moons ago:

I thought it was solved, but recently it’s happening again. I thought it might be a plugin, but I can still 100% repro it in the Sandbox Vault. It only seems to happen with longer notes with more than a few headings. I provided sample notes and a video to reproduce.

Here are some similar or identical posts that could be referencing the same bug:

1 Like

@WhiteNoise I spent some time and am now able to 100% repro this in the Sandbox Vault.

I updated the original report with more detail in accordance with the bug template.

You’ll likely end up getting this bug closed out unresolved due to not following the bug report template. I recommend editing the initial post to follow the template before they respond.

@2fifty6 I updated the top post using the template.

1 Like

Has anything changed here since 1.4.5? Wondering if this bug is acknowledged and if there is any reason I need to re-test now that we’re at 1.4.8.

thanks, I can repro this.

No changes here yet, right? The releases are coming fast the last few days. Up to 1.4.12 now. Just wondering if there’s any reason to test again.

I’m also using 2 linked tabs (one is source mode and other is reading mode) I still face this issue in version 1.4.16