Click links/files to open in new tab by default

Another request here. I routinely get lost the way its setup now. Sometimes I’ll even open 5 or 10 things thinking they’ll be in new tabs and then looking and realizing i did it all wrong.

While the way you do it now may be very good for many users, it should be user-changeable because it can be quite confusing for some users (me) as well as other judging by the size ot this thread.

+1 bumping

1 Like

+1 for a toggle to open links in a new tab.

I would find this option useful because I write atomic style notes. I also try to treat note titles as concept handles. I find both practices assist in writing notes that I actually find useful further down the road.

However, as a side effect, I find myself jumping between a bunch of notes when following the thread of a larger idea. Having all notes open in tabs by default would be useful when refactoring and building on previous writing.

1 Like

+1 for this feature too

1 Like

+1 for this feature

1 Like

To upvote a feature, please use the heart button under the main post instead of writing a “+1” post.

3 Likes

+1 for this feature as described by @psyguy and his proposed solution.

1 Like

Think this is a loosing battle, but good on ya’ for trying :purple_heart:

2 Likes

Every little bit helps. :wink:

+1

Still hoping this gets implemented.

Please do this

+1 and I put a heart.

1 Like

+1. This would be a huge quality of life improvement. I hope it is prioritized soon.

+1
I am here to bump this too…

1 Like

I truly don’t understand all of you. mke21 gave the perfect existing solution that works perfectly.
Open pages with the middle mouse button. Simple.
That way you have the option of opening in current tab by using left mouse button or in new tab by using middle mouse button.
What could be simpler than this?

2 Likes

+1

Still hoping this basic feature gets implemented !

@iomari What about on mobile though?

1 Like

What 100s of users are requesting in this topic i.e., having regular clicks open notes in new tabs and ctrl/cmd click, in the same.

2 Likes

Aside from mobile users, isn’t ctrl/cmd click (or middle click) exactly what you want? (just like browser work?), or am I missing something?

One small note: currently on Mac cmd-click works differently for Edit mode vs Reading mode. In Reading mode cmd-click opens in a new tab. In Edit mode cmd-click opens in the current tab, which adds to the cognitive load to remember how to open in new tab. Perhaps that’s a bug (not the absence of a feature), or somehow peculiar to my setup?

(I can’t speak for whether this is true of middle-click, as I don’t have a three-button mouse.)

1 Like

this should not happen, try the sandbox vault. If it happens there, open a bug report.