Click links/files to open in new tab by default

I too really want this feature. Also for the same reason that I use Sliding Panes and opening in a new pane is my preference more often than it’s not.

If I’m using Obsidian on tablet, then the key board short cut is not sufficient as a work around and pinning each pane would be tedious.

3 Likes

As a workaround, I have mapped cmt-/ctrl-T to “split vertical” , and have a mobile toolbar shortcut for that. This way I ‘duplicate’ a note, and then open the desired link in a quick way.

3 Likes

I’m all in favor of this. I came on here to figure out how to do it. I’m new to Obsidian and this by far the most frustrating thing for me to deal with trying to learn a new way of organizing notes and work. It gets really confusing and while there are work arounds (eg. right click link and “open in new pane” or middle mouse button click), it would be very nice to have a way to toggle between a default setting of open in new pane or open in same pane.

2 Likes

Has this been resolved somehow? Very tedious without a toggle for the default behavior.

2 Likes
  • 1 from me too
2 Likes

I have the same request. I’d like to open new links as a new tab by default without having to press CMD/CTRL every time.

It’s essentially like using target_blank in an HTML url, but I’d like to do this for both notes and links.

2 Likes

+1 from me , expect tabs to work like vscode

5 Likes

Found this theme searching for this fix. Very upset that this is not the default behavior, and it’s not customizable in settings.
I think opening a note in a new tab should be the default behavior (like in many other IDEs).

2 Likes

I would definitely like this on desktop and tablet. On phone I’m less sure if I’d prefer the hassle of closing tabs to the hassle of having open tabs replaced, but I’d definitely try it to find out.

1 Like

+1
this would improve my workflow so much.
I do not understand why the user can’t choose between the actual option and the option to always open in new tag.

1 Like

+1 to add to this.

Even if it’s not the default behavior, it would be extremely useful to be able to set new notes to open in new tabs.

+1 This would be extremely helpful

I’ve been using TiddlyWiki and the concept of “Currently Open Notes” in the sidebar as the main navigation is my preferred way of quickly switching between notes. I’ve tried using the “koncham workspace” plugin and it almost exactly does that, but I have to re-train myself to always use Double-Middle-Click to open new tabs, which is very annoying.

Opening in a new tab without using the ctrl button is actually very easy, at least on Windows or Linux. You can use the ‘middle’ mouse button to click on the link. The middle mousebutton is usually the scroll wheel on the average mouse. You can press on that wheel and it will click, opening the link in a new tab. This works on any browser, so also on an electron app like Obsidian.

4 Likes

+1, it would be useful, especially in obsidian v1

try this:

New user here! +1 for this request!

+1. That would be very helpful.

+1 from me

Yes, please. Opening files in a new tab by default would be a welcome QoL change for me. I agree having a toggle option to decide would be good too.

I also want to say, I appreciate the Obsidian team and the awesome application they have created for us. Thanks a lot, it has been a game changer for me, and I know there are other options but I really love using Obsidian.

Use case or problem

While reading or reviewing a note, we often need to go on a trail of notes. For it to be easy to get back to where we were, we need all those notes open all the time (preferred). Sliding Pane plugin does solve this problem.
The problem is with opening the files in new pane. It usually requires an additional click or a button (Ctrl + Click). For some people (hence,a toggle in the settings) it would easier to be able to just click once and it automatically opens in a new pane.

Now, on PC it is relatively easy if you are using a mouse (middle click), but on a ipad or a mobile, its painful. I had to assign a shortcut in the mobile bar itself, that too works only if I am in the edit mode (“Open link under the cursor in new pane”). It would be a lot easier if we could just click and open it in a new pane on mobile where, even going back is a bit difficult (two finger swipes), especially with a pencil.

Proposed solution

Simply adding a feature that all the links are always opened in a new pane. Since, all the people will naturally not be interested in such feature (most suitable to people who just want to read or review :slight_smile: ), it could be added as an optional feature — a toggle somewhere.

Current workaround (optional)

• Generally, we need to press an extra key (Ctrl) on PC
  • On iPad its really very difficult to open in a new pane, breaks the flow. I personally added an option on mobile bar to open links in a new pane, but that works only in edit mode.
21 Likes