Chrome Extension for capturing website and Kindle highlights

So there are tools for capturing highlights on webpages (e.g., Readwise, Liner) but I think the idea of paying for such a simple tool is a bit ridiculous. I am also a Kindle user and wanted an easy way to capture all my highlights from any particular book and paste them in to Obsidian.

Of course, being a developer I figured I should just make this myself, so I did!

Simple Scholar is a Chrome/Brave/Edge extension that will allow you to capture highlights from any website, copy them as Markdown and then paste them in to Obsidian. If you go to a Kindle Highlights page and tap the extension it will automatically capture all the highlights visible on the page.

I’d love to have anyone test it and/or give feedback. I am planning on adding visual markers of where on the page you’ve highlighted text over the next week or so.

Check it out here

3 Likes

I tried it out. When I select just 1 sentence, then click the icon, I only get the URL, followed by this:

• That thing that made you weird as a kid could you make great as an adult — if you don’t lose it.
  • If you have any doubt at all about being able to carry a load in one trip, do yourself a huge favor and make two trips.
  • What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals. At your funeral people will not recall what you did; they will only remember how you made them feel.
  • Recipe for success: under-promise and over-deliver.
  • Duis pellentesque sapien at odio semper, faucibus congue lorem iaculis. Duis sed purus ut metus laoreet ullamcorper.
  • Duis sed purus ut metus laoreet ullamcorper. Aenean mollis tempus quam molestie rutrum. Nam in pulvinar enim. Mauris vel eros vulputate, dignissim massa a, accumsan neque.
  • Aliquam at volutpat velit, non rhoncus sapien. Cras ante felis, finibus sit amet tristique nec, pulvinar bibendum magna. Curabitur at commodo nibh.
  • Duis pellentesque sapien at odio semper, faucibus congue lorem iaculis. Duis sed purus ut metus laoreet ullamcorper.
  • Duis sed purus ut metus laoreet ullamcorper. Aenean mollis tempus quam molestie rutrum. Nam in pulvinar enim. Mauris vel eros vulputate, dignissim massa a, accumsan neque.
1 Like

:man_facepalming: I still had the test content in when I bundled my last release. Such a noob mistake. Submitting an update now, thanks for letting me know!

Let me know when it is fixed at the Google end.

Alright, the latest release was approved by the Google overlords!

1 Like