Choice of Prosemirror as code editor

Hi everyone, I was wondering if there were any thoughts on using prosemirror as the backend for code editor. It seems prosemirror uses a more structured model for texts:

In that case, would it be easier to implement more advanced features such as blocked referencing?

2 Likes

Hmm, this is fascinating. I hadn’t heard of ProseMirror before. Clearly it does seem to be able to define and work with block-level elements (eg https://prosemirror.net/examples/schema/)

I guess one of the main questions is what this looks like in the “raw” markdown file? Would you end up with files that are so full of HTML tags or other snippets that they are unintelligible without a specific application (Obsidian) to parse it?

If not, if it is possible for ProseMirror to do the block-level referencing and management without over-running the raw file, that would be cool! I would certainly be keen for something where powerful block/paragraph manipulation happens within Obsidian (or a plug-in), but if I want I can still access a (relatively) neat raw .md file.

1 Like

Yes, we have been looking at prosemirror and other editors.

No, it will not influence the block referencing because we want to maintain the underlining markdown file human-readable.

1 Like

There is recently a new open source editor based on Prosemirror. It’s been developed by the team behind getoutline. Seems to be really fast and WYSIWYG.

Some have successfully incorporated it into Standard Notes:

this could be really interesting only for live preview, where codemirror would be used for sourcemode but live preview could cleanly & actually do live preview through prosemirror