Changeable App Icon on Mobile

Use case or problem

I’m one of those weirdos who organizes my apps by color; I love Obsidians new logo, but the Icon has changed from purple-on-white to purple-on-black. I wish there was an option to swap the icon for a different one

Proposed solution

Add the ability to change the Icon of the Obsidian mobile app

1 Like

Which mobile OS are you working with?

I use iOS

Hello,
First, I must say, I like the new logo shape. I think it is a great idea to have a wider logo. It is easier to find on dark backgrounds or high DPI screens.

But I would like to recommend to change the icon background for the iOS app:

I would like the developer to consider a lighter background, like it was before.
Just to clarify, only for the iOS app. Windows and macOS are perfect as transparent.

Currently:

Proposal:

Here is a poll for you to share your preference:

• Dark background (currently deployed)
  • Light background
  • Either option is fine

0 voters

Thanks!

1 Like

Hello everyone,

first of all, I absolutely love the new icon! And this as someone who really loved the old one.

I also like the dark background for the iOS app icon, but it would be a cool feature to be able to switch between a light and a dark background (ideally based on which mode is chosen in general for the vault, but I don’t know if that can be done in iOS).

What are your thoughts on this?

Can’t find it at the moment because there were like 1000+ comments flying by about the icon today on Discord, but some easy-to-choose mobile options are planned.

2 Likes

Something like Pocket Casts

Good idea.

2 Likes

I’d like it even better if the color could automatically follow the device light/dark mode setting, but I think that’s not a thing on iOS.

3 Likes

You can do that on iOS using the native Shortcuts app. Create the icon you want, download it and send it to your iPhone and then follow this tutorial > 3 Ways to Change Icons on Your iPhone - wikiHow

Thank you @canelson for your suggestions. But is not exactly the same.
When you use a shortcut, every time you run it: you get a banner on top reminding you that it is a shortcut.

2 Likes

We plan to add the ability to select from a list of icons on iOS, including a light background alternative.

For Android the latest version of the Obsidian app supports themed icons. Unfortunately Android doesn’t have a standardized API that lets us provide several predefined icons.

12 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.