Change Dataview File Label

First, search the help docs and this forum. Maybe your question has been answered! The debugging steps can help, too. Still stuck? Delete this line and proceed.

!–Can I change the word “File” at the top of a Dataview table to something else. It’s put there automatically, and I wonder if I can change it and if I do will that mess things up

As far as I know “File” is not the default for dataview table headings - you probably included that in the dataview settings (Settings → Dataview → Table Settings) by yourself. So either change the default setting or, alternatively, go for the “table without id” option, something like:

TABLE WITHOUT ID file.link AS Name

Change the word “Name” to whatever you want.

And I strongly recommend to read dataview’s documentation. There are a couple of tricky dataview queries where this forum and also the obsidian Discord channel can offer lots of help - but you should at least understand the simple basics of how dataview works.

Thanks, I didn’t go through all the Dataview settings. I should have. I only need the very minimal basic stuff, so I tend not to spend time learning all the in’s and out’s of every plugin. The main reason I like Obsidian is that I can use templates and a lot of one click solutions to save time. Spending the time I save learning more complicated functions to do things I don’t need defeats my purpose. I really should at least go through the settings.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.