Captions for tables in markdown?

Dear All,

I’m 10-days into my Obsidian journey having “converted” from being a Roam Believer and am loving the freedom and customisability.

I’m trying to recreate some large Word documents I’ve grown over the last 10-years which heavily use Word’s captions for the tables and which can then be cross-references from the body - I’ve looked through the forums (which mention captions for images which was useful) and the markdown guide(S) and can’t see how to do it (in the R forums they mention installing and extension) - can anyone help me with this please?

Thanks

Jim

2 Likes

Seems relevant.

Since I use Pandoc for postprocessing (and really many colleagues use that, too!), I’d be so happy if Obsidian could use the pandoc-crossref style for labelling and referencing figures, tables, images, code blocks, …

8 Likes

Thanks Ampa,

I found this, but couldn’t get it to work with tables - that may well be my absence of markdown knowledge or that it doesn’t work?!

Jim

Not your fault – to my knowledge there is still no widely accepted syntax for table caption in Markdown. Pandoc uses the following syntax:

| Right | Left | Default | Center |
|------:|:-----|---------|:------:|
|   12  |  12  |    12   |    12  |
|  123  |  123 |   123   |   123  |
|    1  |    1 |     1   |     1  |

: Table caption

MultiMarkdown uses this:

| Right | Left | Default | Center |
|------:|:-----|---------|:------:|
|   12  |  12  |    12   |    12  |
|  123  |  123 |   123   |   123  |
|    1  |    1 |     1   |     1  |
[Table caption]

And other Markdown flavors like GFM have no dedicated syntax at all. I personally would vote for adoption of the Pandoc syntax in Obsidian.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.