Canvas development has stopped?

Canvas feature was presented in January and almost 5 months have passed. And we still dont have basic funtionality:

• frontmatter or dataview plugin support
  • we still dont have "Appear in canvas” property for notes to see which canvas a note appears in
  • tag support (right now tags from canvas not showing up in all Tags panel)
  • any shapes except rectangle
  • etc (types of arrows, pen support, filtering although there is nice “canvas filter” community plugin and many many more…)

And there is nothing about Canvas on Obisidian Roadmap:

My question is will Canvas become First class citizen? Is there any Plans?
I am just frustrated, because it does not make sence for me to continue with Obsidian (without evolution of Canvas)… We have alternatives like Logseq (whiteboard feature), Heptabase (totally whiteboard), Milanote, Scrintal…
:sob:

4 Likes

afaics from the discord, the logseq whiteboard still has glitches;
Heptabase is better for some workflows, but worse for others;
Scrintal still early and developing.

I use Heptabase and Canvas. Don’t use Scrintal atm. Haven’t tried Milanote.
Hepta, Scrintal and Milanote all have a significant cost (Milanote free tier is very limited).

I’d like Canvas to be significantly developed (it’s my main Obsidian use now), but what we have now is functional albeit lacking a number of desirable features. From my experience, if you have a workflow ideally suited by the design of one of the other programs, then you ought to use that - it’s more a question of design and vision than features. But Canvas (with Obsidian) is a better general purpose program even without extra features.

2 Likes

I strongly discourage this kind of fearmongering. Five months is a short time in development, especially for small teams.

Instead of posting vague worries, please be specific and constructive by posting/upvoting/supporting feature requests.

20 Likes