Canvas: collapsable groups

Click the control and the group shrinks to display just the title. Click again and the group expands to show all the content.

Conceptually similar to collapsing an outline in Obsidian by clicking the disclosure triangle next to a header: ▸

Or, on a mind map app such as MindManager clicking the expand ⊕ or collapse ⊖ symbol next to a node.

Or, how MarginNote handles groups

CleanShot 2022-12-12 at 17.44.28

11 Likes

Ok, right now groups are a very lightweight concept. now sure it’ll be possible with the current implementation.

1 Like

It’s just a feature suggestion, not a “do right now” demand.

1 Like

It looks useful. +1 for this Feature Request.

+1 - would be really useful

@RoyRogers Sorry I didn’t find this post when I searched before creating Ability to collapse/expand Canvas groups. It looks like we created them right around the same time, but your request came first. I really hope this gets implemented. There could also be collapsing behaviors similar the folding behaviors of headings. For example, a Collapse All would collapse the selected group and those contained within. I know this idea should be a separate request, but still wanted to mention it here just in case.

Thanks!

5 Likes

+1. This can create much needed decluttering

4 Likes

Or similar to Muse, have a canvas inside a canvas.

5 Likes

+1 for this. Also that feature could be extended to cards.

2 Likes

+1 to this idea. Def would help clean things up for large project canvases. Look above at the approaches seem fine to me. You could also consider the bullet list approach, where any blocks that have children can then collapse in their child connected blocks into the parent block.

Nearly all the mindmap apps are able to fold subnodes for a large structure, which operation is very useful for locating and reviewing specific information.

2 Likes

+1 to this idea

1 Like

+1. Its what i miss most from other alternatives like hepta and logseq, where both cards and groups can be folded/unfolded

1 Like
    1. It will be great if this feature could be prioritized.

GitHub - Quorafind/Obsidian-Collapse-Node:黑曜石中 Canvas 的节点折叠插件。

1 Like

This looks really useful, I hope you get it market ready soon. Thank you!

(I mean the previous post, by @jzbjing , check out the video on Git)

1 Like

Hahaha, you may have misunderstood. I am not his developer. Additionally, if you want to use it, you can follow the instructions on the website to download the test version.

1 Like

XD I don’t know what I was thinking

+1 for this! Would be super helpful when I’m outlining my programming tasks :+1:

1 Like

Really need this! +1