Canvas: Cards and Notes in Links / Backlinks and Outgoing Arrows in Graph View

This is my first comment on the forum : Please improve the relationship of the notes nested in a canvas

1 Like

Just ran into this same issue today. Thank you @ecda you saved my day! I’d also like to second earlier requests that this needs to become the default behaviour of the Canvas core plugin.

1 Like

Game changer if implemented. Could you imagine the power of being able to see in a note’s backlinks every canvas where it was mentioned? Wow.

I’m not sure if this was mentioned yet. What if backlinks were established when you draw a line connecting two boxes in canvas (as a settings option)?

5 Likes

Hi,
the feature requested in this post actually makes me not possibile to use canvas. I need linked mentions generated automatically for all the link in the canvas (from any card or notes…).

I hope this will be implemented soon.

Kind Regards.
Bart.

3 Likes

Hey there =) I had the same question as everyone else on this thread, and am also a bit disappointed that is is not part of the native Canvas behaviour. I really wish it can be implemented soon :pray: thanks!

I’d love to see this FR somewhere mentioned in the roadmap :slight_smile: I want to make my TOC / index notes with Canvas, but since links aren’t showing in the graph, makes little sense for me, since notes I link in a canvas they still show up as orphans :frowning_face:, which is the best way for me to create new links and keep notes connected.

The issue I have is that I use the canvas to display a lot of photos, and I would like them to be linked in the graph vew because they are inside the graph.

The simple solution is to link the photos to the graph in the node vew.

The image provided is my node vew of a couple of files and the photos that I have that are linked to the canvas.

1 Like

+1 for this functionality!

+1, I want backlinks to show mentions of them in the canvas

1. Canvas IS NOT AN ATTACHMENT. PERIOD. This is a full-fledged note.
  2. All files and links that canvas uses must be displayed on the graph view

I would also like to draw attention to the need for custom extensions-notes for the graph. There is an extension for working with loom tables - which is also for some reason an attachment, not a note, and the links/files of this note are not displayed on the graph for some reason.

3 Likes

Please, please, please :pray: add outgoing links to Canvas so we can create a table of contents from it. Right now I still keep using normal notes as index cards, otherwise, the links do not appear in the graph, and the linked notes are left as orphans.

3 Likes

+1 for this!

1 Like

+1. This feature is a must!

2 Likes

+1 This should be working

1 Like

I’m ready to sponsor this feature, if it helps.

2 Likes

Yes would be very helpful!!!

3 Likes

Please add this feature

1 Like

Dear developers, please, we waited for over a year for this feature. You’ve done a lot but this one is left neglected. I really stopped using obsidian for this reason alone. When we create links between nodes in canvas, they should form a backlink, otherwise we don’t really need the canvas at all. I wish I could use it but now I have to choose which one to use, the notes or the canvas. Because if I go for canvas, I can’t use the graph as there are no links. Please listen to this request, we need this functionality.

5 Likes

Seriously need this feature.

In my case, it would greatly support an intuitively sought after (and I believe essential) component of knowledge work.

Atomic notes are ideally created such that they might be involved in different theoretical contexts, and sometimes these contexts are best represented in a non-linear, map-like structure; i.e., in a canvas.

If we have no accessible record of whether a given atomic note has been used in a canvas, this inhibits the ability to quickly gain a sense of how certain ideas have been, and can be, used.

This is something that Heptabase does rather well.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I don’t think we are heard here. It’s really frustrating and sad because it is a great piece of software otherwise. But it’s the lack of it that makes me switch Heptabase. Hope one day this will be implemented and we can be productive with it.

4 Likes