Can't open an iCloud shared vault on MacOS,

Things I have tried

I have installed the latest Obsidian as of Feb 6th 2023, on MacOS(Monterey) for the first time.

I am hoping to share a vault between MacOS, iPhone and Windows.
I have set up a shared vault on iCloud, and can see and edit the pages in Obsidian for Windows and iPhone, but on MacOS when I try and open the vault (which I can see has the files present in finder) a blank vault window opens then immediately closes without showing any data.

I can’t find any error logs anywhere, and there are no errors shown.
If I access the shared iCloud folder from the iCloud app, or from Finder I can see all the files, and edit them.

What I’m trying to do

I am hoping to shared a vault between MacOS, iPhone and Windows.
I have set up a shared vault on iCloud, and can see and edit the pages on Windows and iPhone, but on MacOS when I try and open the vault (which I can see has the files present in finder) a blank vault window opens then immediately closes without showing any data.

A warning from the help, and the Discord community bot:

iCloud on Windows is known to cause file duplication and corruption issues. We highly suggest avoiding using this combination.

For the MacOS, it might be related to this: Explorer shows less content (files ) on MAC than on the i.OS devices - #16 by rigmarole

But yeah, please consider another sync method.

Ah, well that sucks :cry: I missed that in the docs.
I did consider using Google Drive, but that is painful if not impossible on iOS.
I’ll try maybe SyncThing, and after that maybe Obsidian Sync, but was hoping to use the sofware across devices for a while before paying out.

Thanks for the reply.

I’m copying this reply from another user in Discord. I haven’t tried these methods, and I don’t sync to my phone, so this isn’t an endorsement or anything, just some other alternatives to research.

(If you give up the necessity to sync to mobile, you likely have more options too. Personally on my iPhone, I use Drafts for capture only, and push one way out to my Obsidian vault.)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.