Can't login to sync on Mac app

Steps to reproduce

1. After enabling sync plugin, settings > sync
  2. Remote vault > Choose
  3. No options to create / sync new vault

Expected result

Be able to follow the steps here from #4 on

Actual result

Can’t set up sync. It just shows a blank screen. When I try to setup a new vault from Obsidian sync in File > Open Vault it also just keeps showing a spinner

Environment

Ventura on M1 Macbook Pro

• Debug info:
    SYSTEM INFO:
    Obsidian version: v1.1.9
    Installer version: v1.1.9
    Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 22.2.0: Fri Nov 11 02:03:51 PST 2022; root:xnu-8792.61.2~4/RELEASE_ARM64_T6000 22.2.0
    Login status: logged in
    Catalyst license: none
    Insider build toggle: off
    Live preview: on
    Legacy editor: off
    Base theme: dark
    Community theme: none
    Snippets enabled: 0
    Restricted mode: off
    Plugins installed: 6
    Plugins enabled: 5
    1: Templater v1.16.0
    2: Dataview v0.5.47
    3: QuickAdd v0.8.0
    4: Kindle Highlights v1.8.1
    5: Pocket v0.8.1

Additional information

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app but that didn’t seem to fix it.

Here is what I see when trying to access sync:

Hmm. Are you connected to a VPN or connecting via a proxy or similar? Can you connect on any other devices?

Can you try logging in via the Vault Switcher’s Setup Obsidian Sync option?

Not logging in from a VPN. I was able to log in from the Android app on the same network, but I have the existing vault on my computer which needs to be set up first.

When I use the vault switcher and click on “Open vault from Obsidian Sync” it shows my second screenshot which is just a spinner basically.

Interesting. Definitely sounds like a connection issue. I hate to say it, but can you try restarting your device? Or can you try the same device on a different network (e.g., hotspot to your Android device?)

OK so I figured this out. I was a little suspicious of the “Login status” in the debug info being “logged in” which I don’t remember ever doing. When I uninstalled the Mac app it retains some info between installs, including this weird login status. There’s a note on where that data is stored. I just went into that directory and deleted the obsidian folder. When I reinstalled the app, it let me set up sync as expected.

It seems like my account got into some weird state that just prevented it from loading, and that state was preserved between installs by default.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.