Cannot move/rearrange panes when running under Wayland

I have the same issue. Here’s what I’m seeing:

I’m running Ubuntu 23.10 under Wayland. I have the display set to fractional scaling, 150%, which is most comfortable for my laptop screen.

XWayland

When running Obsidian by default, it runs under XWayland. Everything works normally, but the UI is noticeably blurry, especially the fonts:

Wayland

I can force Obsidian to use Wayland using the following command line:

~/opt/Obsidian.AppImage --enable-features=UseOzonePlatform --ozone-platform=wayland &

Fonts using Wayland

When running under Wayland, the UI and fonts look nice and sharp:

Dragging and Dropping using Wayland

But I am unable to perform certain drag-and-drop actions under Wayland, for example re-ordering tabs (see screencast below).

obsidian-wayland-cant-drag-tab

I hope this helps. Thanks for your hard work on Obsidian!

Craig

I think it’s pretty obvious at this point that the obsidian team has no interest in ensuring their users have a pleasant wayland experience.

To try and absolve themselves of any responsibility by claiming that bugs in the electron code, which they knowingly built their entire application on, and then making no effort to work with the electron team to solve the issue makes this quite clear.

If they did care about their users wayland experience they would be actively working with users to reproduce the bug and then working with the electron developers to actively speed up the process of resolving the bug. This issue has existed for over a year and to all appearances all the developers have done is look for evidence in electron’s bug lists and point at whatever they found.

This issue is not present in any other Electron app afaik, and VSCode has similar tab features, but without the issue.

The issue is present in many other electron projects, including vscode, and in chrome itself.
I am personally following many upstream reports.

I have seen movement towards the resolution of this issue now that Wayland has been enabled by default in several distros and more people are complaining.

1 Like

What applications have this issue besides Chrome?

FWIW, in Chromium 122, I can move tabs around all day under Wayland.

I do not have this issue on vscode or chrome on wayland currently, from my pov. this appears to only be an issue with obsidian, ChromeOS is moving to Wayland so if the issues are truly upstream, I can’t imagine they are far from being solved, could you link the issues your following?

There is a link in one of my posts above for vscode.
If you google or search on github “wayland drag and drop”, you’ll find plenty.

I think this boils down to both chrome and wayland having to finish the work on this.

3 Likes

Ok, I did hear about that protocol preventing smooth tab detachment and re-attachment, I assume that a workaround was used in chromium / vscode for the time being? explaining why it works in those programs today; where-as obsidian relied exclusively on that functionality? since it works on pretty much every other platform.

Fair enough! Wayland 1.34 was released a couple weeks back in march, I understand it’ll probably take a minute for Compositors and subsequently electron to implement xdg-toplevel-drag, and that the Obsidian Team probably doesn’t have the resources to create temporary compromised work-arounds, and would rather just wait for the full, & cross-platform upstream implementation.