Can the fuzzy match in note search ignore spaces and prioritize note names, not directories?

I’m not sure if this behavior changed, but it appears fuzzy match is far more restrictive now. The ultimate solution might be to allow user-defined behavior for fuzzy match in general settings.

I’m using version v1.5.11.

Use case or problem

Here are two examples to illustrate two separate issues.

EXAMPLE 1: Lack of Spaces Breaks Fuzzy Match

• I have a note called “Favorite Dog Breeds”
  • If I type CTRL + O to open search and then type “favd”, I don’t see the note.
  • I would prefer to be loose when I type and it finds the right note.

“fav” finds the note.

“favd” doesn’t find the note.

“fav d b” finds the note again.

PROPOSED SOLUTION: I’d like the option for fuzzy match to ignore spaces. Then, if I decide to type spaces into my search, it just makes the fuzzy match even more refined. So best of both worlds.

EXAMPLE 2: Search Prioritizes Directories Over Note Names

• I have a note called “E, Vitamin E”
  • If I type CTRL + O to open search and then type “vitamin” I see a list of my notes, including “E, Vitamin E”
  • If I then type “vitamin e” (adding the space and “e”) the note called “E, Vitamin E” moves far down the list to #10. Above it are a bunch of notes also contained in a directory called “vitamins” but that have no letter “e” contained in the actual note name.

“vitamin” finds the notes

“vitamin e” prioritizes many notes before “E, Vitamin E” note is listed.

PROPOSED SOLUTION: Have fuzzy match give priority in this order. (Note, this assumes spaces are not needed.)

1. Note name contains the match and also begins with the match. (Note name is “Vitamin E” - when search term is “vitame”)
  2. Note name contains the match but doesn’t begin with the match. (Note name is “E, Vitamin E” - when search term is “vitame”)
  3. Directory begins with the match (Directory name is “Vitamins” - when search term is “vitam”)
  4. Directory contains the match but doesn’t begin with the match. (Directory name is “Favorite Vitamins” - when search term is “vitam”)
1 Like

I second this! I could’ve swore I was able to use fuzzy search without spaces, but I think I’m misremembering things, since there are another posts concerning this.

Hope this gets implemented!

1 Like