Can someone please help me understand how to use links?

First, search the help docs and this forum. Maybe your question has been answered! The debugging steps can help, too. Still stuck? Delete this line and proceed.

I’m trying to make words in to links but i can’t manage to make it work!

I’m studying, so some things have a definition. For example, i’m current studying hematopoiesis so in a part of my notes it will have the definition of hematopoiesis. Not important but hematopoiesis is the process of making blood cells, and inside of this process i have a bunch of other process, like erythropoiesis. So: erythropoiesis is inside hematopoiesis. What i want is to define the word hematopoiesis as link so when i say “erythropoiesis is a process inside hematopoiesis”, the hematopoiesis word will be a link to it’s definition, is it possible to do it without defining hematopoiesis as a topic?

Things I have tried

Using internal links

You can define it in some other section of the same note and use internal links to link the word to its definition. Internal links - Obsidian Help.

When you click on the linked word, the section is highlighted

Source

Or you can use a sidenote callout and write the definition there itself

Source View

What it looks like

The best way though is to create another note for hematopoiesis and other related topics and link each other while working on different notes

1 Like

What is

> [!sidenote] 

Is this a 3rd party plugin or some custom CSS? For me it just renders like this

1 Like

I don’t know how onethunder has done theirs, but I have one done with a CSS snippet the way they mention in the docs:

/* Sidenote callout */
.callout[data-callout="sidenote"] {
    float: right;
    max-width: 320px;
    --callout-color: 0, 0, 240;
    --callout-icon: lucide-info;
}

Note: the text will flow correctly in Reading mode. In Live Preview the text will be above and below the callout but won’t wrap.

Use it exactly like you have in your post, with

> [!sidenote] Some title
> Foo bar baz.
1 Like

@AlanG Thanks. TIL !

I thought it was a default callout but I switched to default theme and things were different.
Anyways, I am using shimmering focus theme, but I extracted the css from the devtools

.callout[data-callout*=sidenote] {
    --callout-icon: lightbulb;
    --callout-color: 255,210,107;
    font-size: 90%;
    line-height: 1.3em;
    max-width: calc(var(--file-line-width) * var(--sidenote-callout-width) * .01);
    margin: 4px 0 4px 7px;
    float: right;
}

I tried it on default theme and the text below wraps on the left of the sidenote callout.
I think it may require some minor tweaks with paddings or margins.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.