Can one change the style of the double quotation mark? ("" to „“)

What I’m trying to do

Hello everyone,

is there a way to change the style of the double quotation marks in obsidian? Let me explain: Im writing my phd thesis in germany and unfortunately the right way to use quotation marks is like this: „Insert quotation“.
The standard application of english using “” or the curly ones unfortunately doesn’t help me.

Thank you all very much!

Things I have tried

Google, Forum search and a first skimming through the community plugins didnt help.

You can continue to use the dumb quotes then apply regex changes on the page (or all pages, if you use an external program) when done, like so:

You can use a text editor like Notepad++, Sublime Text, etc. where you need to tick regex (regular expression) to be able to make the replacements.

• Example on how to use regex in Notepad++. Just use the match and replace parts from the regex101 site above.

Or alternatively, you can do it right here in Obsidian.

• You can find some help with that here.

They’re separate character. I recommend learning how to type them — on Mac or IOS it should be relatively easy (on iOS, long-press the quote key for more quote characters). If you’re on a system that doesn’t make it easy, you may want to use a text-replacement app to setup a keyboard shortcut, or Obsidian’s templates (there’s a community plugin that will let you assign them to a hotkey).

For existing ones you’ll need to do search-replace, as gino says.

I believe it is possible to use CSS to choose your quote character if you use the HTML inline quote elements <q></q> instead of actual quotation marks, but i’m not sure I’d recommend it.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.