Can not load Obsidian UI -- ERR_BLOCKED_BY_CLIENT upon launch

What I’m trying to do

Launch obsidian. I have been using it for one year on Linux. But the App recently failed to load. I can see Obsidian window is launched, but the content is blank.

Things I have tried

Following is the trace.

%obsidian.AppImage --trace-warnings
2024-01-02 03:23:11 Loading updated app package /usr/local/google/home/hupili/.config/obsidian/obsidian-1.5.3.asar
2024-01-02 03:23:11 Checking for update using Github
libva error: vaGetDriverNames() failed with unknown libva error
(node:53359) electron: Failed to load URL: app://obsidian.md/index.html with error: ERR_BLOCKED_BY_CLIENT
(Use `obsidian --trace-warnings ...` to show where the warning was created)
2024-01-02 03:23:12 Success.
2024-01-02 03:23:12 Latest version is 1.5.3
2024-01-02 03:23:12 App is up to date.

I have tried to re-install the latest version.

3 Likes

Hi - same to me! used it for some time now, today it is just a black window :frowning:

Same here after latest update to 1.5.3
My system is Ubuntu 20.04

Deleting obsidian-1.5.3.asar in .config/obsidian helps but just until the next launch when obsidian is upgraded again.
Tried a brand new vault without any plugins and all the default settings - still no luck: blank black screen on startup with the same message:

Failed to load URL: app://obsidian.md/index.html with error: ERR_BLOCKED_BY_CLIENT

I am facing the same problem on ubuntu 22.04, also just getting a blank black window.

$ obsidian --trace-warnings
2024-01-03 15:16:25 Loading updated app package /home/nils/snap/obsidian/x1/.config/obsidian/obsidian-1.5.3.asar

(obsidian:2364967): Gtk-WARNING **: 16:16:25.393: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:1422:23: 'font-feature-settings' is not a valid property name

(obsidian:2364967): Gtk-WARNING **: 16:16:25.395: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:3308:25: 'font-feature-settings' is not a valid property name

(obsidian:2364967): Gtk-WARNING **: 16:16:25.395: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:3770:23: 'font-feature-settings' is not a valid property name
libGL error: failed to open /dev/dri/card0: Permission denied
libGL error: failed to load driver: iris
2024-01-03 15:16:25 Checking for update using Github
[2365196:0103/161625.459459:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(188)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
[2365262:0103/161625.473361:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(377)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process.
[2365207:0103/161625.476904:ERROR:command_buffer_proxy_impl.cc(125)] ContextResult::kTransientFailure: Failed to send GpuControl.CreateCommandBuffer.
2024-01-03 15:16:25 Success.
2024-01-03 15:16:25 Latest version is 1.5.3
2024-01-03 15:16:25 App is up to date.
(node:2364967) electron: Failed to load URL: app://obsidian.md/index.html with error: ERR_BLOCKED_BY_CLIENT
(Use `obsidian --trace-warnings ...` to show where the warning was created)

I was able to fix my own problem by uninstalling and re-installing the obsidian snap. Somehow the snap was an old version but automatically ran a newer one automatically…

The commands I ran were these:

sudo  snap remove  obsidian
sudo snap install  obsidian  --classic

Note that this will remove some settings as well, so you will have to at least manually re-open your vaults.

Unchecked, but this may work as well instead:

sudo snap refresh obsidian --classic

In my case I used AppImage which was updated automatically.
So I resolved the issue by just downloading AppImage 1.5.3 from https://obsidian.md
After starting just add your vaults by hand - and then everything works fine and the problem is gone.

Running into the same issue on Arch linux (6.6.9-arch1-1).
Using the appimage worked for me.

╰─❯ obsidian 
2024-01-04 12:30:44 Loading updated app package /home/boredpanda/.config/obsidian/obsidian-1.5.3.asar
Updates disabled.
libva error: vaGetDriverNames() failed with unknown libva error

I’m having the same issue. Was working just fine one day, then I turned on my computer the next day without changing anything and it won’t load. Deleting obsidian-1.5.3.asar works, but it seems to downgrade it to an older version or something that doesn’t even have tabs, and of course it’s just a temporary fix so I’d love a proper solution.

I am using Ubuntu 22.04.3, and I had this same issue. Following what I saw here, I use the *.deb package.

$ sudo dpkg -i obsidian_1.5.3_amd64.deb
(Reading database … 437244 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack obsidian_1.5.3_amd64.deb …
Unpacking obsidian (1.5.3) over (0.14.15) …
Setting up obsidian (1.5.3) …

So it looks like it reverted to Roman times for some reason, and that’s why it chokes. A new install of 1.5.3 did the trick for me.